Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,235 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I currently own a home that has an FHA Loan. My fiance and I want to move to a bigger house. Currently we cannot sell our home because we will not get the full amount we want, so we are going to rent it. The problem we have is that I cannot get another FHA loan but only a conventional loan which requires atleast 5% or more down. We currently do not have the down payment unless I borrow from a CC which I do not want to do.

My question is, can my Fiance be the primary borrow and get an FHA loan and I be the co-signer? This way we have to be 3% or no money down. The reason I need to be the co-signer is so that we can get the house we want since my salary is twice as hers. Would lenders allow us to do this?

Let me know, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
First, even if you borrow from a credit card you have a problem. Most government and conforming programs do not allow a "cash advance" to be used for a down payment. They will request your down payment funds to be sourced/seasoned and as soon as they see that its from a credit card its a huge red flag. It doesn't inspire confidence that to get into the home took a cash advance and adds risk.

If you are a co-borrower then your debts, income and credit will be considered just as if you were the borrower.

Why do you need to sell your house to buy a new one with FHA? FHA does allow you to buy a new one if you currently have another FHA loan... but there are restrictions. The main thing is they don't want the new home to be an "investment" home in disguise. If you are relocating for work or if its an upgrade/downgrade for a family change that can be documented many underwriters will allow it.

Of course you have to show them a lease on the current home and meet the other requirements. FHA allows you to own more than 1 home at a time, but you MUST be buying the home as a primary residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages