Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 04:51 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Mr Mortgage - HERE COMES THE ALT-A CRISIS

This will help a lot of ppl realize that there's more than what the media is pushing you to believe in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
It's not like like the problem ends at exotic mortgages either -

JP Morgan’s Dimon: Prime Mortgages Look “Terrible” : Housing Wire

Quote:
In a surprisingly short conference call with analysts, [CEO Jamie] Dimon suggested that losses in JP Morgan’s prime mortgage book could triple in the foreseeable future as the credit mess moves out of subprime and into Alt-A and jumbo loans.

“Prime looks terrible,” he told analysts on the call. “And we’re sorry, and there’s nothing else we can say.”

Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,564 times
To this day I can't believe people bought into neg am loans. How many people actually understand what that loan is? I only understand a little but enough to know it's a bad idea to pay the minimum of anything and watch your balance go up. Then your balance gets re-set and your payment increases. Is this correct?

In my opinion people just looked at that low number and didn't think about the rest of the payment being tacked back on to the back end of their loan. I wonder how many people actually notice their balance increasing?

After hearing this guy. I say no bailout. From what I go out of what he says most people are just financially irresponsible. Jeez, what a surprise?

Old 07-25-2008, 12:45 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
To this day I can't believe people bought into neg am loans. How many people actually understand what that loan is? I only understand a little but enough to know it's a bad idea to pay the minimum of anything and watch your balance go up. Then your balance gets re-set and your payment increases. Is this correct?

In my opinion people just looked at that low number and didn't think about the rest of the payment being tacked back on to the back end of their loan. I wonder how many people actually notice their balance increasing?

After hearing this guy. I say no bailout. From what I go out of what he says most people are just financially irresponsible. Jeez, what a surprise?

Its great for self-employed or independent contractors that have seasonal or other variable income. That is what this program was designed for... high credit, high asset individuals that wanted flexibility in their payments. In those cases it works great, you pay down the loan aggresively the good months but when business is slow you can lower your payment temporarily to the minimum. Its better than getting behing on your mortgage and ruining your credit.

The requirements (initially) were large down payments and strict standards. Of course those quickly vanished when lenders realized that sales people could line up more home buyers for higher loan amounts by selling payment. It didn't take a financial advisor or any experience to sell on low, low payment.... just gloss over the risk and by the time the customer realizes the sales person is long gone.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post

Unlike, subprime lending, neg-am loans are (were) not some new, exotic loan. Neg-ams have been around for decades..and they worked for decades. For many it was actually a good loan.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,564 times
I know that neg-am's aren't new. World Savings Bank was selling them I think since the 1990's. A lot of people got that loan and didn't know what it was, they just looked at the payment. I know a few neighbors that got that loan and were excited they could "pick their payment" and that's all they cared about.

I had family members that got into Countrywide's pick a pay, POA and I told them that was not a good idea because their increasing their balance. They didn't listen to me since I was just a lowly loan processor, pushing paper, what did I know!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post

YouTube - Mr Mortgage - HERE COMES THE ALT-A CRISIS

This will help a lot of ppl realize that there's more than what the media is pushing you to believe in....

the subprime market crashing is now trickling into the alt =A market.. I'm in the Alt-A. If the subprime mess hadn't occurred I would have been able to refi into a fixed..but the subprime mess has made an AltA imdividual locked out of refinancimg and has pulled down the value of the property (which is why we are trapped ). Alt a's put money down and alt a's are not low teaser rate or interest only loans.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM

negative am's are not the definition of an Alt-A loan.. moreover Alt a loans were given to those with okkay credit (not great, not bad) and mostly those self employed individuals. Not all alt-A's are neg amortization.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 PM

and.. just to state.. alt -a's are the more fixable and workable group of people.. they are the ones with assets, they are the ones with the incomes.. if my mortgage company would have simply remodified to a fixed rate they wouldn't be taking over $100K less in a short sale..or possibly foreclosing.. but would continue to hav recieved their full loan amount back at a fixed interest ratE

Old 07-28-2008, 02:21 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
Trickling? I'm not sure if you watched the video or have watched the news lately, but you can clearly see that ALT-A has surpassed the damages of subrpime mortgages.

You didn't have to put money down for ALT-A loans....I'm not sure where you're getting this information from. I work in the industry, and know the parameters of ALT-A/Subprime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
the subprime market crashing is now trickling into the alt =A market.. I'm in the Alt-A. If the subprime mess hadn't occurred I would have been able to refi into a fixed..but the subprime mess has made an AltA imdividual locked out of refinancimg and has pulled down the value of the property (which is why we are trapped ). Alt a's put money down and alt a's are not low teaser rate or interest only loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages