Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
You mean lender/attorney
Not sure why it particularly matters. Banks function differently, I guess. We don't charge those fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:40 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
But you make it up in other fees.

Regardless, it's the bottom line that matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Not sure why it particularly matters. Banks function differently, I guess. We don't charge those fees.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
But you make it up in other fees.

Regardless, it's the bottom line that matters
It's absolutely the bottom line that matters. We charge a standard set of fees whether packages are sent or not. There aren't fees that increase on my HUD to "make up" if I had to mail something.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
So then it doesnt matter what you call it....

I have seen lenders charge 7% 1 origination fee, and 1 discount point.
This was when the rates were in the high 5's, and the borrower had a prime credit score.

Breaking down the fees will help a borrower to negotiate, and to see what are 'junk fees'. Just because you dont charge it doesn't make it 'wrong' or doesn't make it 'fluff'.

I dont charge credit report fees....but those are fees that are 'incurred' in a mortgage transaction. Also, the lender may be including the DU/LP fee.

Bottom line is the bottom line.

To compare a Good Faith Estimate on a purchase the borrower will need to look at the lender fees. Including the 3rd party fees is 'irrevelant' as the attorney represents himself. Some lenders may put low attorney fees, and this may throw off the 'bottomline'.

Some lenders do it this way
Bogus Lender
800 lines/Lender Fees = 4000
3rd party fees = 1000
Total = 5000

True Lender
800 lines/Lender Fees = 3000
3rd party fees = 3000
Total = 6000

You may think that the first figures are correct, but the 2nd one is the more accurate estimate. What will happen is that the 3rd party fees will actually add up to 3000, and the first total will go to 7,000.

Always compare the 800 lines (800-899), and add/compare up these fees.
Call the attorney directly, and ask them to give you all the 3rd party fees.
Once you have the attorney fees, then you can add it to the lender fees, and you'll have a close estimate.

After you have looked at the fees, now you can compare the rates/apr.

BTW be careful with lenders that charge 'discount points'. It is illegal to sell you a higher rate, AND charge a discount point. Discount points are not the same as origination fees. The government views them differently, and I believe also has different tax benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
It's absolutely the bottom line that matters. We charge a standard set of fees whether packages are sent or not. There aren't fees that increase on my HUD to "make up" if I had to mail something.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,161 times
Thanks again renreq02!

The following items totalling $2,462.73 are in the 800 section of the settlement statement:

Loan Origination Fee--------$1200
Credit Report---------------$73.73
Appraisel Fee---------------$325
Tax Service Fee------------$81
Final Inspection------------$75
Underwriting Fee-----------$355
Processing Fee-------------$295
Life of Loan Flood Cert------$13
Overnight Mailing Fee-------$45

Old 07-27-2008, 01:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times
renriq said it right again. What does it matter if there is a $50 "junk" fee for sending a package if the TOTAL FEES are $500 less?

Some lenders eliminate "junk fees" easily, they lump it into a $750 underwriting fee or a $600 processing fee. There are then "less" fees on the report becuase they do not charge for credit reports, tax service, flood certs and mailing fees. In the end, you pay the same... its just what name they want to call it.

Again, the credit report seems very high from my experience... but lenders by law have to charge you the exact amount of this. We can't pay $20 for a credit report and then bill clients $30 for it.... that is a big no no. So I will just assume they pay a lot for credit reports.

Other than that, the total seems okay... some fees are more than what I am used to, some more. To know if you got the best rate/fee mix you really need to see what the rate sheets were on the day you locked. Its easy to say that rate is high/low today, but that doesn't matter as what is important is the day you choose to lock.

Overall, nothing that looks crazy or bad except the state tax stamp.... but thats a problem with SC, not your lender

Old 07-27-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
So then it doesnt matter what you call it....
If you're not adding extras and the standard numbers don't get inflated, then you're right: it doesn't matter what you call it.

Quote:
I have seen lenders charge 7% 1 origination fee, and 1 discount point.
This was when the rates were in the high 5's, and the borrower had a prime credit score.

Breaking down the fees will help a borrower to negotiate, and to see what are 'junk fees'. Just because you dont charge it doesn't make it 'wrong' or doesn't make it 'fluff'.
Did I say anything about the fees being "wrong"? Unless there was actually that third party fee incurred, I would consider it fluff. If there was FedExing going on then it may not be.

Quote:
I dont charge credit report fees....but those are fees that are 'incurred' in a mortgage transaction. Also, the lender may be including the DU/LP fee.

Bottom line is the bottom line.

To compare a Good Faith Estimate on a purchase the borrower will need to look at the lender fees. Including the 3rd party fees is 'irrevelant' as the attorney represents himself. Some lenders may put low attorney fees, and this may throw off the 'bottomline'.

Some lenders do it this way
Bogus Lender
800 lines/Lender Fees = 4000
3rd party fees = 1000
Total = 5000

True Lender
800 lines/Lender Fees = 3000
3rd party fees = 3000
Total = 6000

You may think that the first figures are correct, but the 2nd one is the more accurate estimate. What will happen is that the 3rd party fees will actually add up to 3000, and the first total will go to 7,000.

Always compare the 800 lines (800-899), and add/compare up these fees.
Call the attorney directly, and ask them to give you all the 3rd party fees.
Once you have the attorney fees, then you can add it to the lender fees, and you'll have a close estimate.

After you have looked at the fees, now you can compare the rates/apr.

BTW be careful with lenders that charge 'discount points'. It is illegal to sell you a higher rate, AND charge a discount point. Discount points are not the same as origination fees. The government views them differently, and I believe also has different tax benefits.
Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages