Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,809 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are seriously considering having a house built and unfortunately, we don't know as much we'd like to about the process. we can't afford to pay for the house we live in now, and for the new house as it's being built. what are our options? and for those that have built, any pieces of advice or words of wisdom?? thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I suppose these days it will sound stupid to say "wait until you can afford it" ?
On a more helpful basis.....when we have had construction loans, the monthly payment was based on what we'd already drawn....not the full final amount.
Does that help any?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Oooops....forgot one important thing.....you have to plan on the fact that you have a house to sell and it might not.
If you can't afford both for awhile (and renting it out won't cut it) you'd be better off to get one sold then rent while building or you could find yourself in one tough spot.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,809 times
thanks for responding old_cold, i appreciate it. fortunately we are renting a house right now, so we won't have the hassle of trying to sell before our house is finished.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 AM

I can't help you with more specifics because they may not be at all relevent to your situation.
We did not, for instance, go through a developer.
Owning the land and putting in utilities was our 'down payment', for instance.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:07 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
We designed and built several homes in N.Ca over the years. Some we financed ourselves, but most we obtained construction loans. Having some contingency money is wise before you start. Most construction loans have a lower "loan to value" than a regular house loan, which means you should have some amount of money to put down. Do you own the land? It would also be wise to hire a very reputable contractor (not the cheapest bidder) and or architect to help you with the process. make sure the contractor is licensed and BONDED. The contract to build your home can be riddled with traps and surprises, so have the contract reviewed by an attorney or your architect. This process is risky for those who do not have construction experience and I do advise hiring qualified people to help you along the way. Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages