Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 AM

72 posts, read 184,864 times

Advertisements

anyone who short saled/foreclosed/in leiu of deed willing to say how many points they lost on their credit scores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,042 times
I short saled and when the sale went through my score went up. I don't really know how many points (10 maybe 20) because it was down as "foreclosure pending" with all those missed payments. Then it went to settled in less than full and improved.

Needless to say , my credit is hurt but what helps is that I do pay everything else on time. (credit cards etc).

Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
I dont' know what our credit scores are now, after the short sale, but we had a bunch of accrued late payments, so while our credit is shot at this point, it wasn't the short sale that did it. I've read that if you do'nt miss any payments, it can be as little as 50 points off of your score. Unfortunately, our bank would not work with us until we were 90 days past due, so that wasn't a possibility in our case. We have been told that if we rebuild our credit, don't pay anything else late, etc, then we should be able to buy again in two to three years.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 PM

72 posts, read 184,864 times
Thanks for the feedback. We are not happy with our current situation of being 130,000 underwater and are contemplating what to do.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:09 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasparker View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We are not happy with our current situation of being 130,000 underwater and are contemplating what to do.
You have to prove that you are going through a hardship to do a short sale... if you are going through a hardship and can't refinance or lower your mortgage payment, though, then a short sale, while not a fun thing to go through, can save you a lot of grief.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 PM

8 posts, read 60,304 times
We put in an offer on a short sale on 4/11/2009. Seller's lender was GMAC on both a first and second mortgage. We got a verbal acceptance on 4/17/2009 and a written approval on 5/4/2009. Closing was set for 5/22/2009. I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but the amount owed on both mortgages together was something around 300k, we offered 270k, so 30k off amount owed. This left the second with a small amount (around 6k if I'm remembering correctly from the approval letter) after commissions and fees and the first were all paid.

We thought we were smooth sailing until 5/21/2009 (day before our scheduled closing) and now GMAC won't let us close - they keep changing their payoff numbers - apparently the foreclosure kept moving forward even after they had accepted our offer. *sigh* and everything seemed to be going so smoothly, guess that was just too good to be true.

We were supposed to close on our old home and this one the same day - we almost ended up in a hotel with all our belongings in storage. Managed to work out an occupancy agreement at the last minute since seller was already moving out. What stress!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

761 posts, read 3,414,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasparker View Post
Are you planning a short sale just because you are underwater? If that is the case, just think of what the nation would be like if everyone did that same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
You have to prove that you are going through a hardship to do a short sale... if you are going through a hardship and can't refinance or lower your mortgage payment, though, then a short sale, while not a fun thing to go through, can save you a lot of grief.
If you are in hardship as well, follow beans advice.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages