Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times

Advertisements

All help will be appreciated...
In February 2009, our 5 year balloon at 4.5% will end...what can we do to prepare for another mortgage to pay it off? We'll owe $180,000 on a house that can easily be appraised at $400K. Great neighborhood, surrounded by great neighborhoods so value is not an issue. What is a concern is that my husband is self-employed & will probably not claim more than $16,000 in gross income this year & I'm salaried at $55,500. No debt except the mortgage. All input on the process of refinancing and what we can expect to be up against is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
Sounds like you wont have an issue refinance....

Find out what the new rate will be before considering refinancing.
I would apply with different lenders besides your current lender.

Most current lenders will not give you the best rate.
A new lender will be willing to lower your rate to win your business..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
In February 2009, our 5 year balloon at 4.5% will end...what can we do to prepare for another mortgage to pay it off? We'll owe $180,000 on a house that can easily be appraised at $400K. Great neighborhood, surrounded by great neighborhoods so value is not an issue. What is a concern is that my husband is self-employed & will probably not claim more than $16,000 in gross income this year & I'm salaried at $55,500. No debt except the mortgage. All input on the process of refinancing and what we can expect to be up against is welcome.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post

It sounds like your going to be ok to qualify for a new loan. You have a few options. I suggest you do something before the presidential elections - interest rates are sure to go up.

Your first option you could refinance, looking for a fixed rate in the six percent range (slightly lower for a 20yr term). You could elect to go back into an ARM for a lower rate, but you will have to refinance again in the future. I do not recommend that, each time you eat up equity.

Refinancing they are going to look at your credit score, also you have to pay for an appraisal. Plus there will closing costs that will get rolled into the loan (as much as 5%). The loan officer can give you a rate, and that will be the rate you close with (normally).

When you are shopping between different leaders, you can do two things to help yourself. First - get a copy of your own tri-merge, so each person you talk to, black out your SS# and email your report to them. That way your credit report isn't ran over and over lowering your score. The 2nd thing you can do is order your own appraisal, with the ability to change the lenders name. That way if you get to closing and there's alot of hidden charges that suddenly appear, you can walk away and go to another bank. (On FHA loans once a case number is assigned, it is harder to change lenders.)

Your second option - if you are happy with your current lender, and do not want any cash out. It is cheaper to do a modification. Only 3% of the people who do their own modifications succeed, because they do not know the correct channels in doing so. This is the cheapest method, but your not getting the lowest rate.

Your third option - doing a modification through an attorney firm, which a legal representative acts of your behalf to honestly and legally get you the best interest available.

It is important to note - a loan can only be modified once every year, sometimes only once in the lifetime of the loan.

The rules of this forum prevent me from mentioning my firms name, if you would like to ask me questions, P.M. me.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 AM

54 posts, read 264,065 times
Very good advice given so far. The refi is a very straighforward thing, or at least it should be if you get an honest person to help you. You are paying the broker for a reason, and that is to make the difficult things seem easy. With those numbers, you should easily qualify for a conventional loan. Dont accept anything but a good fixed rate loan. You may even qualify for a stated program at that LTV, just depends what you want to do. Good luck and dont let anyone make it a difficult and confusing process when it really is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages