Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times

Advertisements

With all that is going on in today's economy,the bailout,forclosures,etc...
I think that whenever a for sale sign goes up in someone's yard,people automatically assume that those people are having to forclose or are close to it and are walking away....
In our neighborhood, there are several homes that people HAVE just walked away from and it is fairly evident.

However,what about the people who didn't go into a home that they couldn't afford,that didn't take a mortgage that was way beyond what they could actually afford and now have to sell because they are being relocated?
We are in that exact situation... we HAVE to sell,we are being moved out of state and most companies today ( that we know of,except for the big Pharm companies) are NOT buying their employees home as part of the relocation package.
Our home is only a little over 2 years old and it has decreased by approx $90K right now..... what about people like us who can't sell for what they bought for and may have to pay 2 mortgages for a very,very long time?
and can't really afford to do that without completely draining our savings?
I think it is "unfair" to say the least, and we all know that things aren't fair in this world,but to be a responsible adult who pays their mortgage on time,who doesn't do things above and beyond and now possibly may drain everything we have because of this entire situation is beyond frustrating...
so those that were irresponsible are getting off "scott free" (except they won't be able to gain any credit for the next # of years?) but be responsible and you will suffer.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
We are stuck - we just bought a house for 10k less than the original buyer paid in 2005. We bought our home in 2002 and I will be delighted if we walk out owing nothing. So you know the seller lost money on it because they have to pay the real estate agent.

6 years not ONE late payment.

I see the same thing with my parents who saved and invested every other paycheck and did without - now not getting things others who blew it all and wound up on medicaid [which my parents will never qualify for] get.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 AM

151 posts, read 798,570 times
We are in your exact shoes. Relo due to job change, company not assisting with any part of home sale/purchase, sold for less than we bought it for 3 years ago, paying own realtor fees, etc., etc. We have watched tens and tens of thousands of dollars leave our savings and listening to the radio today is not helping matters while contemplating a big "bail out."

Could be worse, though, right? We *only* moved to Florida....could have been CA or Vegas, right????????

Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
At least moving to Florida right now you are probably getting a great deal on a home. I am dreading selling my father's house in Fla. [Thankfully he paid $35,000 for it in 1978 - we begged him to sell it in 2006 when it would have sold for 450K, now it is probably worth about 225K - and on main channel water]

Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Was in the relo boat. Sold in TX. Lost about $20k overall. Just glad to be out from under that house. Figured it is worth taking the hit now then get stuck holding onto something that was draining me each month for something 1800 miles away.

Sucks. But I can't complain that much. I made a lot of money on the first house I sold so overall I am up a lot. But not at where I was in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages