Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:10 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So it is also an investment. The anticipation of an exit strategy, "...just break even..." indicates such.
True...but I used the word "if"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:13 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,720 times
Default Both

My husband & I are very handy, we love do it yourself home projects. We bought our home for its great location, great bones and great schools. We have put alot of sweat equity into it, its a hobby for us. For now, we aren't doing anything we can do cheaply ourselves. We believe these things add value and they sure make it more livable for us. Is this our last house, no I hope! Is it a happy home now, yes! So my answer is both!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
a property going up or down really comes down to how well you bought. There are hoems here in Orlando that you would be just even in, while there are others you can get at 50 cents on the dollar. Some of those you can turn into positive cash flow for rent so they can and do make good investments. Just because some people are losing money doesnt mean everyone is. I have investors doing quite well. It's all about the deal... don't fall in love with the hoouse fall in love with the deal.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
My husband & I are very handy, we love do it yourself home projects. We bought our home for its great location, great bones and great schools. We have put alot of sweat equity into it, its a hobby for us. For now, we aren't doing anything we can do cheaply ourselves. We believe these things add value and they sure make it more livable for us. Is this our last house, no I hope! Is it a happy home now, yes! So my answer is both!
I should add that we aren't in a bubble market...a little lower maybe, but we would probably break even if we had to sell.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I am buying a house to live in and store my crap. If I can walk out of this home in the future and just break even I consider that a great success. If I can make some money great. But in the mean time I need a place to store my crap
That is great! This is true it really is just a plce to store your crap. The bigger the house the more crap you but for it because a room or something is empty. LOL Funny post. Gave you rep for it!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
We bought our first house to raise our family in. Then we decided to move out of state, so we sold and were pleasantly surprised to make a large profit.

We bought our second house with the intention of living in it for a few years and then "trading up." The market was high and had no signs of dropping anytime soon, and we could only afford a starter home in the area where we were living. Three years later, my husband lost his job and we had no choice but to move out of state so he could accept the job that was offered to him. The house had plummeted in value, and is now worth $100,000 less than what we paid for it.

It's in short sale right now. There is no way that we can afford to keep it and also pay rent in a different state. The mortgage payment is twice what we'd get if we rented it out. A lose-lose situation all around.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We did both. Our first home was a starter home, which happened to be a second from a foreclosure, so we got it for a great price. It was paid off in 8 years. Then we needed a property for our business which we bought at a decent price. Then we rented out our first home and bought a larger home for ourselves. Last year I moved my business home and rented out the property that our business was in.

This year we bought a vacation home. We still have some equity in all the homes as we always put down 20%. It is not as high as it was in 2006, but we are in it for the long term and not a quick buck.

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages