Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,475 times

Advertisements

Rick Lee, would you please email me name of the toughest divorce lawyer in Virginia as I really need his help. Thank you and thanks for being so helpful....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,344,758 times
Call Marc Astore in Fairfax. (703) 273-5100.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,274,555 times
Every state is different. In some states she'd only be entitled to 1/2 the equity increase over the course of the marriage (5 years), but then you could spend enormous amounts of money on lawyers trying to argue the exact value increase from the marriage date until the divorce filing date. There was a lot of price fluctuation from 2008 to 2013.

I know a woman who spent $65,000 on her divorce attorney. They had no kids, both had prior marriage(s) and they were only married eight years, but they were greedy and were determined not the let the other one "win"...

In the end the lawyers got half the house equity; it was pretty much a 4-way split between the two warring spouses and their respective attorneys.

Lawyer up, but remember to keep your head on your shoulders and cut your losses when prudent.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
My husband bought a house 2 months before I met him. We started living together 3 months later then married 1 year later. we do not have kids together but have 1 each from prior relationships. I not on the loan but my name was placed on the title. now his son wants the house if the father dies. What are my rights and should I just walk away and sign off the title. We have been married for 15years and this has placed problems in our marriage. I have been paying the mortgage every since we married and still is.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,375,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laswilliams View Post
My husband bought a house 2 months before I met him. We started living together 3 months later then married 1 year later. we do not have kids together but have 1 each from prior relationships. I not on the loan but my name was placed on the title. now his son wants the house if the father dies. What are my rights and should I just walk away and sign off the title. We have been married for 15years and this has placed problems in our marriage. I have been paying the mortgage every since we married and still is.

His son has no claim on the property. You both own it. He can will his portion to his son but he would have to buy you out of your part of ownership. I would NOT sign anything, without consultation from a lawyer

Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,375,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speckmeoutdude View Post
I purchased a home before getting married for the second time. Wife insisted I put her on the deed of title but not the loan about a year before we were married. She has never made a payment or helped with taxes or repairs to the house. We also have no children together and our kids are grown and married. We are both over 50. She sold her house and self finaced it and receaves payments monthly, only I don't see a penny.
Now after 5 years things are falling apart.
Question: Is she intitled to half of the house?

OP it is in your best interest to contact a tough attorney. My mom did a similar thing with a bf. She put him on the deed and later (1 year) he passed away. His daughter wanted 1/2 the house immediately. It got pretty ugly. You may be entitled to some of the money she had from her house sale. Get a lawyer NOW

Old 06-29-2014, 12:57 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,302,051 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUlKPthrag

Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,879 times
I have a friend who is just starting a divorce, and 15 years ago, he put her on the title.. im not sure about everything else. But he owned the house 2 years prior to the marriage. He resides in TN and is curious if she can take the house from him? What are his options?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:46 AM

8,562 posts, read 12,336,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdouglass87 View Post
I have a friend who is just starting a divorce, and 15 years ago, he put her on the title.. im not sure about everything else. But he owned the house 2 years prior to the marriage. He resides in TN and is curious if she can take the house from him? What are his options?
1) See a divorce attorney.
or
2) Consult with an even better divorce attorney.
or
3) Kiss his house good-bye.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Default Equity in home

I'm in va and have been in this home for 18 yrs. New husband of 8 years is not on the title or deed.... Is he entitled to half the equity?

Btw who is your great attorney in va??

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages