Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,370 times

Advertisements

A reverse mortgage is a loan available to seniors, and is used to release the home equity in the property as one lump sum or multiple payments.

The homeowner's obligation to repay the loan is deferred until the owner dies, the home is sold, or the owner leaves (i.e. into aged care).In a typical mortgage the homeowner makes a monthly amortized payment to the lender; after each payment the equity increases within his or her property, and typically after the end of the term (e.g. 30 years) the mortgage is paid in full and the property is released from the lender.

In a reverse mortgage, the home owner makes no payments and all interest is added to the lien on the property. If the owner receives monthly payments, then the debt on the property increases each month.

If a property has increased in value after a reverse mortgage is taken out, it is possible to acquire a second (or third) reverse mortgage over the increased equity in the home. But in certain countries (including the United States), a reverse mortgage must be the first and only mortgage on the property.

Equity Credit Debt Finance - Home Loan Refinancing Rate|Best Low Interest Bad Credit Debt Consolidation Mortgage Loan-Non Profit Services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 AM

8 posts, read 20,356 times
sorry, my english is very poor, can you help me to find the homepage-site from "Wake(Take) Hospital on newburn ave" in Raleigh, want to see a little baby from my son and my swip-daughter

Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 AM

122 posts, read 958,788 times
I just don't see how this is good for anyone but the lender!
Be prepared for "reverse mortgages" to be the next waive of foreclosures!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Forclosure is not possible with a normal reverse mortgage. There are no payments to be made. It is basically a home equity loan that is repaid from the borrower's estate upon the borrower's death, or once they no longer live in the home (i.e. move to a nursing home, etc.). Heirs have the option of repaying the loan if they want to be able to inherit the home. Also lenders are not allowed to lend more than a certain percentage of the home's worth (I think up to 2/3 of the home's value).

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,947 times
It seems like it's only good for the lender but for some, it's a viable way to turn a lot of debt into a cash source, and in these times, a lot of people need that
[url]http://www.mandtreversemortgage.com[/url]

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Depends on your situation. It is definitly in my plans for when I turn 62. Right now I plan on selling this house and buying something smaller. Paying cash for the smaller house and then pulling out most of it with a reverse mortgage. Then investing that money in something VERY conservative so it wil last a LONG time. I havent worked out the details but thats the plan. .

I dont plan on leaving anything to anybody so I really dont care if the house goes to some bank when I go. The women in my family tend to live a long time. The men in my husbands family do not. Im an only child. I just lost my Mom. That was the last of my relatives except for some distant cousins. We have no kids and my Outlaws treat me like crap..

Also when Im 102 and go in the nursing home there wont be any house to take cause I will have already spent it.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 10-16-2008 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Old people should not have to eat cat food just so their kids can inherit the house.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
With the reverse mortgage program, there's no reason for a senior citizen home owner to try and live on only social security. Many seniors are cash poor but asset rich. The RM program is a great way to to take out equity with no pay back until you move or die.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
The op os a salesman trying to hook you in... 1 post...? com'on...

Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
I noticed that too. But it doesnt make any difference. Its still a valid topic for discussion.

A reverse mortgage is like any other mortgage. You can get hosed if you dont pay attention. You should check all the variables and get the best deal for you just like you would a regular mortgage.

Also I expect the bank to make some money on the deal. Thats only fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages