Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:50 PM

183 posts, read 255,630 times

Advertisements

It's been over 3 months now since we applied for a mortgage with Wells Fargo. Is this normal to wait this long??? We are constantly being told to wait and that things are taking longer than usual, etc. We have been asked several times to send more paperwork, which we always do.

I understand that times are hard now to get a mortgage, but the mortage we want is for a relatively small amount. The home we want to buy is 100K and we're gonna put down 20%, so the mortgage is only for 80K which seems relatively small in today's world.

Our credit is not the best in the world, but it's not the worst, either.

So why is it taking this long? Is it normal in these times to hafta wait so long??

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM

620 posts, read 1,950,718 times
Are you actually obtaining the mortgage thru WF or are you getting preapproval? We just got a preapproval thru them last week. We supplied everything up front and heard from them the same day with the approval amount(even more than we anticiapted). We are shopping around right now for a home. They even said that they would close on time according to any contract we submitted.

I am curious what you find out on the 3 month wait. Is Wells the only bank you tried to obtain the mortgage with? We shopped around four different places and found out within a couple of days for each.

BTW~ We aren't even putting down 20%, but our debt/ratio is excellent as is our credit report.

I would be calling the bank again and ask what is going on.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in the mortgage forum or not but, if so, please move to mortgage forum.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:21 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,663 times
No, it's not. Go to a mortgage broker who deals with all the different banks and avenues to get loans.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,336 times
This isn't making sense to me. If you've selected a home and are going for a mortgage then there should be a contract to purchase a home. The contract to purchase should have time frames. Banks tend to work with in those time frames.
The bank and the underwriters can't approve a loan with out a house to base the loan on.
Do you have a contract to purchase a home?
If your asking for a pre-approval for a mortgage prior to making an offer that should have taken less than a week.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:37 PM

My husband said it's FHA and that because we had some late payments on our present mortgage at the end of last year, that's the reason it's taking so long -- so that they can wait 'till we've had a year of no late payments.

It still doesn't make sense to me, but he said there's nothing we can do about it other than wait.

I guess I answered my own question, but it still seems like a long time.

Anyway, if anyone has any more input, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
It's been over 3 months now since we applied for a mortgage with Wells Fargo. Is this normal to wait this long??? We are constantly being told to wait and that things are taking longer than usual, etc. We have been asked several times to send more paperwork, which we always do.

I understand that times are hard now to get a mortgage, but the mortage we want is for a relatively small amount. The home we want to buy is 100K and we're gonna put down 20%, so the mortgage is only for 80K which seems relatively small in today's world.

Our credit is not the best in the world, but it's not the worst, either.

So why is it taking this long? Is it normal in these times to hafta wait so long??

Thanks for your help.
No it is not normal and cases like yours usually means that the L.O. is having a hard time getting approval for you. Smaller loan amounts are not better it is usually harder to find a loan for someone under 100k than over 100k. Some lenders will not even make a loan that small. Good luck I hope you the best.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:23 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,198 times
Well, I'm a REALTOR and the Wells Fargo broker we often work with has closed loans in 12 days for us this summer and they were VA loans

Old 10-21-2008, 06:52 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
My husband said it's FHA and that because we had some late payments on our present mortgage at the end of last year, that's the reason it's taking so long -- so that they can wait 'till we've had a year of no late payments.

It still doesn't make sense to me, but he said there's nothing we can do about it other than wait.

I guess I answered my own question, but it still seems like a long time.

Anyway, if anyone has any more input, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Well there you go. Absolutely that is the reason. The mortgage company (underwriter) wants to see 12 months of ON TIME Payments. It would be important to make sure you can handle it after your lates on your mortgage before. Regardless of the reason you were late.

This is a very difficult time for banks to be lending money and they have to make sure you are credit worthy.

so, basically you aren't waiting for an approval as much as you are meeting the underwriter guidelines. If you wanted an answer RIGHT NOW... the answer would NOT be what you want to hear. It would NO....

So, sit tight.

shelly

Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your help....it is very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages