Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM

6,885 posts, read 11,259,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceJohn View Post
Saw a house, want to buy. Interest rate is too high this week, mortage rate is 6.5%-7%. Do you think mortage rate will drop next year?
Rates dropped week of 11/25/08

Still low

Shot in the arm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM

937 posts, read 2,892,179 times
Rate is down to about 5% now. Will it go lower?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,885,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Rate is down to about 5% now. Will it go lower?
Credit unions have rates around 4.7%... always love a credit union more than a bank...

Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 PM

11 posts, read 66,002 times
Do you think mortage rate will continue to go up or the Feds will go in and lower the rates?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,411,657 times
It makes no sense in this mortgage crisis for mortgage rates to rise. My guess is that they will fall to historic lows this year as one of the ingredients necessary to diminish the crisis and boost the economy. Fed will see to it, no question.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,933,198 times
the fed cannot manipulate the bond market:
A steep drop in the price of the benchmark 10-year Treasury note pushed its yield up to 3.72%, up from 3.55% late Tuesday and the highest level since last November. That increase touched off fears that the government won't be able to hold down interest rates long enough to allow the economy to recover.

Along with increasing borrowing costs for the government, rising yields on Treasury debt could hamper an economic recovery since they are used as benchmarks for home mortgages and other kinds of loans. Higher mortgage rates could delay a recovery in the battered housing market.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,063,071 times
If minor fluctuations in interest rate are enough to make a house unaffordable for you, I suggest buying a less expensive house. Just my $.02.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,739 times
The market went up yesterday partly due to the rise in interest rates and oil prices, some were saying it was a sign of economic recovery. But interest rates jumped up a month ago and then came back down. I doubt the rates will go lower than they have been -fed rate is almost '0' now. The only direction to go from here is up, it is really up to the banks now. Supply and demand, once lending loosens up, rates will go up as more people qualify for loans.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:50 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,668,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
If minor fluctuations in interest rate are enough to make a house unaffordable for you, I suggest buying a less expensive house. Just my $.02.
Bingo!

-- break break--

As to the question at hand, I continue my prediction of 8% interest rates by May 2010. This sub 5% environment is unsustainable, there are more overriding economic factors than appeasing a housing inventory. The govt can't continue to hold down the borrowing cost in aggregate much longer without outright killing the paper currency. The creditor nations are nervous as heck and can't hold out another year. For that reason you will see the cost of borrowing go up. The probative value of debasing the currency and triggering hyperinflation is not something the Obama cheer camp wants to go down with on the history books, they'll take a prolonged economic contraction (what they should have done in the first place) than a collapse of the dollar on their watch. Like I said, nowhere to go but up, up and up. 8% by may 2010.

That said, who cares? Houses should be a utility anyways, higher cost of borrowing would lower the mean price of homes, which means less people can make money off it by trading it like a commodity. Sounds good to me. Realtors might not like that, guess what, if the global mantra was good to shove on the 25 year aircraft mechanic it's good enough for the FIRE rent seekers too! Incomes drive this fight and are the real problem in this country, houses are just a pacifier everybody keeps pointing at as if it was decoupled from the income problem americans face.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,635,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Bingo!

-- break break--

As to the question at hand, I continue my prediction of 8% interest rates by May 2010. This sub 5% environment is unsustainable, there are more overriding economic factors than appeasing a housing inventory. The govt can't continue to hold down the borrowing cost in aggregate much longer without outright killing the paper currency. The creditor nations are nervous as heck and can't hold out another year. For that reason you will see the cost of borrowing go up. The probative value of debasing the currency and triggering hyperinflation is not something the Obama cheer camp wants to go down with on the history books, they'll take a prolonged economic contraction (what they should have done in the first place) than a collapse of the dollar on their watch. Like I said, nowhere to go but up, up and up. 8% by may 2010.

That said, who cares? Houses should be a utility anyways, higher cost of borrowing would lower the mean price of homes, which means less people can make money off it by trading it like a commodity. Sounds good to me. Realtors might not like that, guess what, if the global mantra was good to shove on the 25 year aircraft mechanic it's good enough for the FIRE rent seekers too! Incomes drive this fight and are the real problem in this country, houses are just a pacifier everybody keeps pointing at as if it was decoupled from the income problem americans face.
^^^^^This^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages