Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 03:11 PM

148 posts, read 640,533 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm scared. It seems there are entirely too many people in this field who haven't a clue what they're talking about. Out of 6 brokers/lenders, 3 say we're going to take a hit on the interest rate because our loan falls into the category of an FHA "jumbo." Not to be confused with the conventional jumbo categorization. An FHA Jumbo still falls within Freddie/Fannie definition of conventional, but none the less is considered a 'jumbo' and is accompanied by a nice, big, fat interest rate increase.

The other 3 say there's no such thing as an FHA Jumbo.

ARRRGH.

Either way, 3 of them are completely incompetent. Which one is right/wrong??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,329 times
It depends on your market. Anything over $362K is FHA Jumbo, and you absolutely will see an interest rate hit. If your county's max FHA loan limit is still less than $362K, then there is no FHA Jumbo for you. The differences between FHA and conventional are underwriting guidelines, down payment requirements, and MI requirements. A comparison between FHA and conventional conforming is apples to oranges, so that should not factor in at all unless you can qualify for a conventional conforming loan in which case you should not really be looking at an FHA Jumbo program.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks. Just about everything else, I'm clear on. I'm not comparing FHA to conventional, just trying to make clear that the "jumbo" i'm referring to is unrelated to the jumbo rate of conventional mortgages. I'm kind of tired of people not reading posts clearly and answering the wrong question.
I'm also pretty clear on most of the basics of conventionals (and then some). I'm just amazed that half the brokers I've talked to (that claim to have experience with FHA loans) deny there is even such a thing as an FHA Jumbo.

Yes, it's the product we need, the question we've been trying to answer between ourselves was whether the work we want to do on the house (we want to do a 203k loan) is worth doing if it bumps us over the 'jumbo' amount; we already know that the FHA limit in our purchase area is $406. With the jumbo amount starting at $326, we'll be over that regardless, so we can continue to plow forward with the 203k.

Again, thanks.

Last edited by enigmakairos; 06-30-2008 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Clarified dollar amounts from 203k designation.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:08 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
Fannie Mae limits are up to 417k
Fannie Mae Jumbo limits go up to 729k. Also known as Conforming Jumbo

FHA limits vary by county, but go up to 362k with no price hits.
FHA Jumbo limits go up to 729, and have a higher pricing when over 362k.
Your county will need to be eligible in order to surpass the 362k limit.

Not ALL lenders offer FHA Jumbo or Conforming Jumbo

FHA Jumbo rates can be from 0.25% to 0.375% HIGHER in rate than normal FHA rates

Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Not sure if the new FHA Jumbo limits apply to 203k.

I would call HUD directly to get the answer from the horse's mouth.

Tollfree:(800) CALLFHA or (800) 225-5342

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmakairos View Post
Thanks. Just about everything else, I'm clear on. I'm not comparing FHA to conventional, just trying to make clear that the "jumbo" i'm referring to is unrelated to the jumbo rate of conventional mortgages. I'm kind of tired of people not reading posts clearly and answering the wrong question.
I'm also pretty clear on most of the basics of conventionals (and then some). I'm just amazed that half the brokers I've talked to (that claim to have experience with FHA loans) deny there is even such a thing as an FHA Jumbo.

Yes, it's the product we need, the question we've been trying to answer between ourselves was whether the work we want to do on the house (we want to do a 203k loan) is worth doing if it bumps us over the 'jumbo' amount; we already know that the FHA limit in our purchase area is $406. With the jumbo amount starting at $326, we'll be over that regardless, so we can continue to plow forward with the 203k.

Again, thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Yeah, but I'm sure i'll be on hold for two hours... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Not sure if the new FHA Jumbo limits apply to 203k.

I would call HUD directly to get the answer from the horse's mouth.

Tollfree:(800) CALLFHA or (800) 225-5342
Ooooh. Good idea. I'll be the first one calling in tomorrow morning...oh wait, this is a gub'ment agency. I'll call at 11. People should start sauntering into their offices by then, yes?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM

The longest I waited was about 2-3minutes.

I was surprised when they picked up soo early....

I usually put ppl on hold and get fresh coffee.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM

596 posts, read 2,876,429 times
Are the requirements similar for an FHA and an FHA Jumbo? What are the major differences, or is it just that one is for a loan below the county's allowable per the website and one is above that? Other than this, is the difference just in the higher interest rate? How does one qualify for the Jumbo? Thanks all.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM

596 posts, read 2,876,429 times
Also...are the FHA Jumbo limits from March 2008 the same as they are today, or have they changed? Thank you (just found the list as of March).

Old 11-17-2008, 03:25 PM

768 posts, read 4,341,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Are the requirements similar for an FHA and an FHA Jumbo? What are the major differences, or is it just that one is for a loan below the county's allowable per the website and one is above that? Other than this, is the difference just in the higher interest rate? How does one qualify for the Jumbo? Thanks all.
FHA Jumbo's need to be within county limits. Anything over $362,790 is considered an FHA Jumbo, anything at or below that number is just a regular FHA mortgage, so if the county limit is less than $362,790 an FHA Jumbo loan is not available there.

FHA loan limits are still currently what they were in March of 2008 but on 1/1/09 they are being reduced in most areas. You can check current & 2009 limits at https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/hicostlook.cfm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages