Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM

19 posts, read 123,864 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anybody can attest to the accuracy of the online mortgage calculators? Also, I was wondering if their accuracy depends somewhat on what state you live in? For example, I live in Texas with no state income tax but higher property taxes.

For example, my income is $200K a year, with $1100 in car payments, $1400 in student loans, and no other bills. The calculator says that we could afford a house around $500,000 a year. Does that seem about right?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,474 times
Banks will always approve you for more than you should spend. I suggest to look at your monthly income and pay the difference between rent and additional expenses that a house provides, such as insurance, property taxes, maintenance and higher utility bills for about 6 months and see if you are tight or not. Those additional costs could be around 40% of the mortgage. Also include the difference between rent and the mortgage you think you'd be comfortable at.

The rule of thumb is not to go higher than 2.5 times your income. I suggest around 2 times though just to be conservative.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Approval standards include a DEBT to INCOME rate from 30% to 38%.

There is nothing wrong about "underbuying" by itself, but I have noted a tendency of some underbuyers to then turn around and "over improve" their homes and/or lifestyle. Putting money into fancy gadgets, decorating or vacations are all within one's right to choose, but it certainly does not improve one's financial position...

Rarely do lenders consider expenses, unless a locale is inordinately expensive, and that is when they tend to go to the high end of the debt::income ratio...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages