Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my house now, so re-financing is not an option. I do have a home equity line of credit. The rate is down to 4.5%. My question is, would it make sense to take a large chunck off my mortgage and move it over there? My mortgage is 5.8% and I've had it almost 5 years. I can possibly lock the rate in on the home equity to become a fixed rate. Like I said, I'm selling, so this would only be temporary. Although, who knows how long it will take us to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Why do that? Are you having problems paying the first? if so, go to the bank(lender) and get the rate fixed or adjusted to where you can afford it. Do not spread out your credit, that is amount owed to too many places. leave the home equity alone and work on getting your 1st fixed until you sell the house.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 PM

105 posts, read 214,268 times
I agree with the first response. Also you will be most probably applying for a loan in North Carolina too. Correct me if I am wrong. So if you move your credit around too much right now it will probably affect your credit rating and that is a very fragile thing in the market now. The credit cards are charging more for their money and you don't want to mess with your credit score.

I am just guessing this is what is going on. And you are correct to question how long it will take to sell your house so price it very carefully.

You could rent the current house out and buy another if you can handle hiring a rental manager. Lot's of people are taking that route.

Good luck

Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
It's not that I can't afford the current mortgage. I was just trying to save some $, maybe a $100 a month. I didn't think it would affect my credit rating. Both mortgages are the same company. We will most likely need a mortgage in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages