Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is It Ethical to Walk Out on a Mortgage?
Yes 27 13.37%
No 115 56.93%
Neither Ethical nor Unethical 60 29.70%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM

416 posts, read 637,460 times

Advertisements

ahhh lovehound...the same oft repeated phrase: deadbeat.

please do apply that same phrase to companies that make business decisions like this every day...and then put your money where your "words" (or mouth) are...stop using them for any business transaction. Boycott their services. Don't buy their goods.

i know a nice off the grid place you could go because that's what you would need to do...this is capitalism. please don't mix capitalism with morality, ethics, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
I do not disagree that walking away is immoral but at some point you get tired of throwing good money after bad.

Most of us are practical though we are moral to a point, especially when it is convenient for us.

The morally conservative, those underwater (who put 20 percent down, didn't take out 2nd mortgage, etc) are the ones who are really getting screwed.

My guess is regular church attenders default much less, even when strapped. Everntually, though moral behavior is a luxury that many can no longer afford.

This does not account for the strategic defaulters, those who can afford to pay but choose not to. Those who put nothing down and now are living rent-free for 2-3 years actually are making money out of this.

One of my analysts at work bought a place in FL in 2005 for 200k with nothing down. Now it is worth 100k. They just finished doing a short sale where they did not make payments for 18 months, while still collecting rents. They actually ending up making 10k even after fees.

Moral or not, they made the right decision economically. Btw, the rents were only 200 less per month than the mortgage payment and taxes. They could have afforded to lose 200 per month while still making payments.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

My guess is regular church attenders default much less, even when strapped.
And my guess is they default at exactly the same rate as the evil non church attenders.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
Default This settles it

I love it. The argument is settled now.

Walk Away News: Morgan Stanley Gives Properties Back to the Lender.

I found this in another thread, but I want to spread it around and around.

It's just a business decision. It always has been and always will be.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
The bankers will keep their bonuses anyway.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
The bankers will keep their bonuses anyway.
Of course. This was probably a very smart financial decision.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:41 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Of course. This was probably a very smart financial decision.
What do you mean? whose decision? The question in the OP was about ethics.
What I mean is, the bankers will not loose anything personally. The government will end up paying - ordinary tax payers will end up paying. Now, is it ethical to stop paying a mortgage? Probably not, but as an ordinary tax payer I ask myself: do I have the right to judge?
And the answer is No. since I would have done the same thing if that would be better for me and my family.
It is the government, that made it possible, and they are in charge. Can I blame the people? No, since I have personally done nothing to stop it and I have the government that I deserved, with financial advisors of the president now, being the same very people who have driven their banks into bankruptcy and who got multi million bonuses for that.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Sorry, I assumed you were responding the last post before yours.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,858 times
Most people have an unwritten contract with their family to do their best to help and take care of themselves/each other. In my world this supersedes any moral obligation, with the bank - yup, I think it is important for one to make an attempt to hold strong, but not if the detriment of doing so is larger than the benefit - so it isn't a yes or no, black and/or white thing - it is individual.

It is important to teach your children when to or when not to walk away - people should know better than to force themselves into thinking in absolutes we know darn well know we don't act in absolutes.

"Never run a red light" is immediately thrown out when an 18 wheeler with no sign of slowing is running up behind you - I suppose a good few stand up citizens would hold steady, foot on brake smiling to the end - yeh, I don't think so...

Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
In the end it comes down to whether you would do it or not. Those who wouldn't do it think it's immoral and those who would don't. Just as those who would drive a little buzzed think it's OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages