Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times

Advertisements

This thread may get me some negative feedback, but I am just so mad.... I really need to vent.

I read several message boards on finance/credit/mtge etc. I constantly see posters asking when they can get another mortgage after BK and foreclosure and get all weepy when they are told 2 years. They are whining that they just got discharged and really really want to take advantage of the cheap housing market. I am mad that they are even ASKING the question!!

Good grief - the housing market stinks now BECAUSE of them!!! Since they walked away from their debts, these BK filers now have saved thousands of dollars for a DP and want to buy up someone else's cheap foreclosure while other people are struggling to pay their debt and find it hard to actually save the 5-10k needed for a DP. What is wrong with this picture???

Now I am a reasonable person (who happens to be a renter) and I KNOW that BK is a legitimate and necessary option for some (many?) people these days due to loss of jobs, medical expenses etc. However, it grates on my last nerve to keep reading how the second discharge is complete they want to play the real estate/credit card game again. The laws need to change so that BK filers (especially when there is a foreclosure involved) positively must wait several years before they can get credit and another house. Sit on the sidelines, get used to a new budget, change spending habits and THEN they can play the game again. People make mistakes and that is why we have the BK option which is fine. We just need to manage this better.

Maybe it is just greediness, or people still want to keep up with the Jones's - but the BK system is not strict enough if someone can file BK and immediately smile and get lots of credit or even consider buying a house.

Sorry if I offended anyone... but I really needed a vent today on this subjct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
It is even worse than you think. I know a couple that are very up-side down on a home that has depreciated more than 25% so they cannot sell without a big loss.

They have decided to upgrade to a new larger home and are in the process of buying a bigger place at the same cost and getting a much lower interest rate and therefore more home for lower payments. Their plan is to simply walk on the last home taking the foreclosure and hit on their credit, but they will already be in the new home at a much better payment structure.

I want to blame them but they claim the industry and government created the situation and they are just adapting to reality.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM

133 posts, read 750,478 times
My neighbor walked away from his house, and bought a new house before the foreclosure hit his credit.... you'd think it wouldn't be so easy... I know he couldn't afford two mortgages so, given the current economic conditions, I can't believe someone gave him another loan.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM

242 posts, read 735,241 times
bk clears up the credit in a way, foreclosure is an open account.

In both cases you can get a loan the next day depending on your scenario, money down, etc.

BK for an individual is not a big deal at all.
Foreclosure sale is no different than letting your car get repo'd.

We are not in this mess because 1% of the loans are subprime and they are introuble having to pay 9% loans. That is just the kool aid you are drinking.

before you attack a family just trying to survive in regards to bankruptcy, maybe you should look at big business...I mean, really.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:40 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
No one in their right mind should give you negative feedback since you hit the nail on the head and I agree with you and so do my friends....

Change the laws...sooner than later..the mess is going to be worse by the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages