Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:18 PM

23 posts, read 143,570 times

Advertisements

I am currently house hunting and I would like to use an FHA loan from Wells Fargo. I noticed on FHA Loan Refinance and FHA Home Loans | Mortgages they have debt to income ratios that they say are the standard for determining whether or not someone will get approved.

They want
29% mortgage payment expense to effective income (p/i, taxes, insurance, mortgage insurance)
my mortgage would be about 40%
41% total fixed payment to effective income
my payments take me to about 51% (car loan, personal loan)

I am looking for A home on Long Island in the 340-360 range. I did notice this note they have on the bottom of the page..

"Please note that the above indicators do not exclusively determine whether or not a candidate will qualify for an FHA loan. Other factors will be considered, including credit history and job stability."

I have excellent credit with a fico score of 790 and Ive been a police officer in NYC for 5 years. I am choosing FHA for low down payment option.

So i guess my question is, has anyone been approved and been over there percentage numbers? Any other info you could share regarding FHA? THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:54 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,585,075 times
how much do you have in reserves?

if you have less than 2months then you will more than likely get declined

Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 143,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post

2 months worth of mortgage payments as reserves after all initial costs are taken care of? If thats what your asking then yes. But not much more

Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM

41 posts, read 385,555 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, this is not true. FHA has no reserve reqirement. However, reserves do help if you are over ratio maximums.

Also, FHA's ratio requirements are 31/43. Automated underwriting engines are used to determine approval status.

THe poster has great credit and some reserves so, I feel that you'd be fine.

I've seen files be approved by the system as high as 55% debt to income ratios but with adequate reserves...

Signed,

Former Wells employee and 13 year Veteran in the business

Last edited by Sub-Urban Princess; 01-29-2009 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: added 55% verbiage

Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 PM

I recently ran one, and got referred, and declined

Ultimately, it's up to the lender

I do know that FHA doesn't require reserves, but as you stated it helps as a compensating factor.

Credit score is also not a factor with FHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Urban Princess View Post
Unfortunately, this is not true. FHA has no reserve reqirement. However, reserves do help if you are over ratio maximums.

Also, FHA's ratio requirements are 31/43. Automated underwriting engines are used to determine approval status.

THe poster has great credit and some reserves so, I feel that you'd be fine.

I've seen files be approved by the system as high as 55% debt to income ratios but with adequate reserves...

Signed,

Former Wells employee and 13 year Veteran in the business

Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
I could be wrong, but I think there's a limit to the mortgage loan
check on that.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Credit score is also not a factor with FHA
Not a factor with FHA but the automated engine takes it into account, that's for sure.

Also, FHA uses the total score card method...so technically they do take the score into account when the loan is run through the engine...

I believe the score is not taken into account when a loan is underwritten manually by a live underwriter.

However, you are less likely to get a manual underwrite at Wells if you are over 45 debt to income and with that, you must have strong compensating factors.

*Long time on job
*Adequate reserves
*Low or No Payment Shock (increase or decrease in payment vs. current housing payment)
*Good Credit
*Future salary increases that can be verified

These are just a few...

Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 PM

and that's why i mentioned reserves ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Urban Princess View Post
Not a factor with FHA but the automated engine takes it into account, that's for sure.

Also, FHA uses the total score card method...so technically they do take the score into account when the loan is run through the engine...

I believe the score is not taken into account when a loan is underwritten manually by a live underwriter.

However, you are less likely to get a manual underwrite at Wells if you are over 45 debt to income and with that, you must have strong compensating factors.

*Long time on job
*Adequate reserves
*Low or No Payment Shock (increase or decrease in payment vs. current housing payment)
*Good Credit
*Future salary increases that can be verified

These are just a few...

Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I could be wrong, but I think there's a limit to the mortgage loan
check on that.
Good Call...I think he's fine though...The Long Island counties have pretty healthy loan limits..

https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/hicost1.cfm

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
and that's why i mentioned reserves ...

You did...

You know in our business that you have to be specific because there is tons of info that can be misconstrued by the common borrower.

To tell them they will get declined if they have less than two months is not always true. Generally, we are at the mercy of the automated underwriting systems...agreed?

Just today, I had a 624 FICO...45% back end ratio go through and she had a 1/2 month reserves...It was weird but the machine liked it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages