Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
In my area, HUD certified brokers have the master keys to all of the HUD foreclosures in the area, although they are changed on a rolling basis. So, right after my buyers close, I use the key to let them in the door, but am not allowed to hand the key over. Therefore, I will stay there until the locks are changed (either by the new owners or a locksmith).

Since most foreclosures have the utilities turned off (and only turned back on during the inspection period), make sure you allow ample time for the utilities to turn on in your name. This especially goes for electricity service that has been off for some time, as electric companies will remove the meter after a certain period of termination of service. Before the meter can be re-installed, a county inspector may have to go out and inspect the meter post and before that can be done, a permit might be needed.

You'll also want to let the water run for a little while before you need to use it to get all of the rust out.

Congrats on your new home!
Yup it took the bank about a week to let us know the property had been dewinterized so we could schedule a home inspection. During the home inspection we found the hot water wasn't working. We had to turn on a breaker that controlled the hot water heater for it to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 AM

95 posts, read 244,972 times
They're (probably drug addicts) stealing the copper out of the houses that are on foreclosure around here. It's gotten so bad the RE agents have to spray paint the pipes and wires with fluorescent paint and report what color they're using to the local junk yards and recycling facilities.

Also to answer the OP, never did, we never lock our doors, no one around here does. I live in a small town (under 10k).

Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM

69 posts, read 344,531 times
When I bought my first home, it would never have occurred to me to get my locks rekeyed, but my parents did this for me as a housewarming gift. I have since "regifted" that to many close friends and relatives when they have bought houses as I thought it was a very thoughtful gift.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
We had to fly to another state for the closing and that night we had a big slumber party with our grown kids (who live in that state) played games all night and slept on the floor. We changed the locks, since we live out of state and it was a second home and we bought new garage openers since no one knew where the old ones were.
We also went and met the neighbors

Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
The day before we closed I bought new locks for our house and had the extra keys that I needed made. The day we closed we switched out all the locks and then started moving our stuff in. I'll be doing the same thing when we sell this house and move.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
It's pretty easy. Pick up a rock and throw it as far as you can, you're bound to hit a foreclosure these days
That was funny and sad at the same time.

We always buy new so we never change the locks. We have sold 4 homes and we always end up with some left over keys. The only house we gave all the keys was the first because we attended the closing. The other houses we were in another state when the closing took place and we didn't mail the keys.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 AM

33 posts, read 110,503 times
Well, we closed yesterday. (the closing took 5 hours!) Long story...trust me.

We did go and change the locks, as well as the toilet seats.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB1021 View Post
Well, we closed yesterday. (the closing took 5 hours!) Long story...trust me.

We did go and change the locks, as well as the toilet seats.

Thanks!
LOL that's a good one!!

Congrats on closing too! I'm closing next Friday myself.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM

87 posts, read 396,175 times
JSB1021: why did your closing take so long? What should I be looking forward to other than signing papers and writing checks?

Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
JSB1021: why did your closing take so long? What should I be looking forward to other than signing papers and writing checks?
Ours took about 2 hours and we got rushed through signing each document. If you read every page word for word, I could see it taking 5 hours. Plus sometimes there might be a queston on something, like there was in our case and they had to call the bank in CA that was doing the loan etc....closings are no set time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages