Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,719 times

Advertisements

I've got access to a special loan program for physician's that requires 0 down, 5.8% 30-year fixed with no points, no origination fee, that ignores my student loans in my debt estimate (about 100k; no other debt for me), and has no PMI. I've got pretty good credit--currently mid score is above 720.

I'm just finishing medical school and will be entering residency and am also marrying my fiance, who is also in the medical field. She has two kids, so it really makes more sense to buy now than rent, which is why I'm considering these loan programs.

We're looking at homes between 230k and 300k. We could potentially put together a 30k downpayment or so, but I'd almost rather hang on to that in an emergency fund.

Combined incomes will be 85k for the first two years. After that, I'll be able to moonlight, and that should go up to about 120k--more if I feel like/absolutely have to work longer hours.

This will be our first home purchase, and the 8k tax credit will definitely come in handy.

The good news is that my job is pretty much ironclad guaranteed, particularly mine.

Are there other loan options you'd look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 AM

180 posts, read 694,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
I've got access to a special loan program for physician's that requires 0 down, 5.8% 30-year fixed with no points, no origination fee, that ignores my student loans in my debt estimate (about 100k; no other debt for me), and has no PMI. I've got pretty good credit--currently mid score is above 720.

I'm just finishing medical school and will be entering residency and am also marrying my fiance, who is also in the medical field. She has two kids, so it really makes more sense to buy now than rent, which is why I'm considering these loan programs.

We're looking at homes between 230k and 300k. We could potentially put together a 30k downpayment or so, but I'd almost rather hang on to that in an emergency fund.

Combined incomes will be 85k for the first two years. After that, I'll be able to moonlight, and that should go up to about 120k--more if I feel like/absolutely have to work longer hours.

This will be our first home purchase, and the 8k tax credit will definitely come in handy.

The good news is that my job is pretty much ironclad guaranteed, particularly mine.

Are there other loan options you'd look at?
That sounds like the BofA program. I'm a broker and I have access to pretty much every program out there, but when I get clients who are fresh out of med school, I refer them to this program because it can't be touched.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM

596 posts, read 2,876,701 times
I think you could do better than the 5.8%

Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
I think you could do better than the 5.8%
lol, on a no point no fee 100% LTV loan w/ no MI?? Sign me up

Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM

I stand back for the experts. All I am able to say is that ours is .5% orig, loan is 5%. We are guaranteed 5 but it may go lower so we didnt lock it and she said she'll slot us in for the lower rate if it changes. Is this relatively the same, worse, or better? We're hoping to get 4.anything% soon.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
I stand back for the experts. All I am able to say is that ours is .5% orig, loan is 5%. We are guaranteed 5 but it may go lower so we didnt lock it and she said she'll slot us in for the lower rate if it changes. Is this relatively the same, worse, or better? We're hoping to get 4.anything% soon.
it's totally different. I'm assuming your isn't a 100% LTV no PMI purchase.

you got an okay deal. not great. 4.875% should be pretty near no points today assuming conforming loan.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM

We got 100% and no PMI. Does that make it okay or better, worse? The 4.8% would be nice, is it feasible for us to hope for that still?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:57 AM

11 posts, read 32,092 times
with BofA that program is going to finish in May I believe, I put 10% down and paid $540 in points to lower it to 5.125 I should of waited though and not listened to my wife since the rates went down further I could of locked at a lower rate.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times
jctx, how/where are you getting 100% LTV with no PMI? Mine is 90% LTV and no matter where I turned, PMI would be there.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Its through a small town bank. Its also a relocation for a job and they have some sort of affiliation with the bank, which sort of 'tailors' its loans. They also keep all their loans in-house for the life of the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages