U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM

196 posts, read 579,310 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am a first time home buyer and I am trying to not get ripped off by a bank on my mortgage rate.

I am looking to borrow max 160k for a Condo. So 200k with 40k DP. I would be putting 20% down. My credit is mid to high 700s.

I was pre-approved by Coldwell Banker, as I was recommended by my real estate agent to do that. My real estate agent is also with Coldwell Banker. They quoted me at 5.2%. Then I went to HSBC and the guy quoted me with 4.75%. He did not run my credit or anything I told him what my score was.

I dont have a property yet so I cant lock in a rate. I asked the Coldwell banker person why I was quoted so high and she said it was because I am getting a condo and would have to put 25% down to get a better rate. I asked the HSBC guy about this and he said it is BS.

I'll probably go with HSBC but what questions should I ask, does my lawyer look into the mortgage bank contract?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:55 PM

9,719 posts, read 19,110,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
Hi

I am a first time home buyer and I am trying to not get ripped off by a bank on my mortgage rate.

I am looking to borrow max 160k for a Condo. So 200k with 40k DP. I would be putting 20% down. My credit is mid to high 700s.

I was pre-approved by Coldwell Banker, as I was recommended by my real estate agent to do that. My real estate agent is also with Coldwell Banker. They quoted me at 5.2%. Then I went to HSBC and the guy quoted me with 4.75%. He did not run my credit or anything I told him what my score was.

I dont have a property yet so I cant lock in a rate. I asked the Coldwell banker person why I was quoted so high and she said it was because I am getting a condo and would have to put 25% down to get a better rate. I asked the HSBC guy about this and he said it is BS.

I'll probably go with HSBC but what questions should I ask, does my lawyer look into the mortgage bank contract?
Make sure that the 5.2% isn't a capped rate protection plan and you'd get a lower rate if they locked at current market rates b/c CB Mortgage does offer that. (really PHH Mortgage that ERA/C21 also use)

Ask for a good faith estimate so you can compare rates and closing cost. Go over them with your Realtor if you'd like an explanation and help making the right financial course (assuming your agent has pretty good financing knowledge).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages