Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM

148 posts, read 574,294 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, is it customary for a fixed rate to remain the same for months? In January when we first started shopping around, our mortgage broker told us the VA fixed rate was 5%. I got a closing date today, ready to lock in my loan rate, and it's still 5%. I was kinda hoping for 4.75% or maybe 4.85... but she said it's still 5%. Is it possible to negotiate the VA rate or is that something fixed by VA? Or is that the purpose of buy down points? Our 5% is with no points and 1% origination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 AM

305 posts, read 1,808,686 times
We locked in at 5% with no points and 1% origination as well during the month of March. We've not moved in yet because it's still under construction.

At the time, everything but VA rates had bumped up just a bit to 5.5% the week we locked. We'd been watching the VA rates and they had stayed the same as you said since January.

I really don't think you're going to be able to negotiate lower than 5% with no points.

So we know it was just a matter of time before the VA bumped up as well. I have no explanation for why their rates have remained so steady all this time. I just wanted to let you know that your mortgage banker is not telling you anything but the truth.

And, by the way, I'm happy with my 5%. That, combined with the significant drop in home values, made purchasing our first home so doable.

We've never owned our own home. Our mortgage will be $350 less a month than we pay in rent right now! How could we NOT own a home with those numbers?

Good luck and congrats.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:59 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,329 times
VA does not set rates. They have no say in market rates or discount points (you should have signed a disclosure that mentions this). VA and FHA rates do not move as much as conventional rates, and they have both been fluctuating between 4.875% and 5.25% over the last month or so. 5% is a decent rate today, but you should (may) be able to get 4.875%. If you were willing to pay a discount point you may be able to get 4.5% or 4.625%. That does not mean that you're particular lender can actually offer below 5% as all lenders price differently. Also there may be some pricing hits that I'm not aware of so take my comments for what they are worth which is not much considering I know nothing of your scenario.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 PM

26 posts, read 66,072 times
We purchased our first home using VA loan. We locked in our mortgage rate on march 30th at 4.74% fixed with no points, no funding fee, no origination fees with pHH. That whole week prior to us locking in our rate, it was around 4.92%. I was told that VA/FHA loans have higher mortgage rates then typical conventional loans since there is smaller or no down payment.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 PM

163 posts, read 669,518 times
I got locked in at 5% best rate for the time when I bought my house and now I see its a bit lower, but I am pretty happy with 5% seeing how over a year ago or more the average rate was 6 or 6.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages