Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,956 times

Advertisements

my new refinance company has added their name to my homeowners insurance before the closing is thislegal .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROsemarie Luke View Post
my new refinance company has added their name to my homeowners insurance before the closing is thislegal .
Yes, it is legal and many lenders do this to protect their interests. It doesn't cost you anything extra.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROsemarie Luke View Post

That's the standard practice for finance company to put their name in the declaration page. Without it, you would not be able to get a loan.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 918 times
When paying for home insurance on a new home before closing can I pay the years premium upfront with cash or do I have to have proof of where the funds came from?

Old 05-06-2017, 01:57 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I didn't "need" before closing, but it was understood that if I didn't buy on my own before closing then the condo association would have one waiting for me and then subsequently bill me.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:44 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquevinton View Post
When paying for home insurance on a new home before closing can I pay the years premium upfront with cash or do I have to have proof of where the funds came from?
Lenders will typically want a homeowners insurance policy paid in full at the time of close. You can either pay for it before close or some lenders will allow it to be put in your closings costs. They don't care where the money comes from to pay for the policy! Lenders are not going to close on a loan without their interest being insured.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 PM

490 posts, read 584,084 times
When I bought my first home in 2000, a old house along the gulf coast in Florida I never thought much about insurance. When I tried to purchase a policy I was rejected by every company I applied. Closing was coming up and the real estate agent representing the property said he had it covered , no problem. We closed on schedule with insurance in place. Less than 3 months later nationwide cancelled , as I learned was state allowed. Thus my knowledge began on Florida insurance crisis which started after hurricane Andrew in 1992. It was a nightmare on my new but very old home purchase.

By 2003 we could only get a surplus line carrier not recognized by any state regulation and the coverage was not only awful but the premium was 3,500 k a yr. for a $125,000 small home.

Things got worse in 2004 after 4 hurricanes hit or threatened Florida and blamed for the insurance crisis, but in fact it started in 1992 after Andrew.

In 2005 the rates were $5,400 a yr and loss of the home was sure. State rules wouldn't allow joining the newly formed citizens pool due to the fact I was offered a private policy. So I didn't qualify for the state backed plan.

Luckily that changed in 2006 when my rates went up $7,600 a yr for a $128,000 home.

What I learned was the real estate mofo secured home owners so he could make his commission at closing, knowing damn well I would be cancelled within the grace period and in deep trouble on a old house that cost exceed what I could pay to make upgrades for code. I also learned if the state of Florida had not created a gov run insurance risk pool the state economy would have collapsed. Insurance companies cherry pick but when risk has to be paid out, they leave.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 PM

490 posts, read 584,084 times
I am still living in this old home today, though I have bought 2 others since then . I am getting ready to sell this place. I don't know how to handle any questions about home owners to a new sucker buying in this vey expensive insured area over flowing with dated old home stock. There are no options of merit and the criminally allowed home owners scam rides high in 2017.

I am talking about wind mitigation, not even flood inurance and the greedy real estate goons that candy coat these cost to new buyers. My current rates are $1,650.00 a yr with 5% per wind event out of pocket, the house still valued about 130 k. Of my 3 properties the most expensive. Compare to my Dads home in Virginia valued at about 750 k and nearly 4,000 sq ft where he pays about $900 a yr.

I have no flood ins, not requied nor a claim in 17 yrs. Nor has Florida had any hurricanes in 12 yrs until last yr and they weren't major. Record profits for over a decade and when a hurricane does finally hit watch the greasy greedy POS insurance companies run.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:36 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
Was wondering about that since it was listed as "Closing/Escrow Fee". Are there any upfront fees directly related to setting up an escrow?
It is customary in the secondary market (where loans are bought and sold) to charge 1/4 point for you to pay your own escrows (taxes and insurance). Some lenders (portfolio) will allow borrowers to pay insurance without the charge. Some lenders will waive the charge, but many can not.

One item to correct of what someone said, the first year you pay at closing. If you are making monthly payments that include taxes and insurance, what you are paying is not double payments. It may feel like that, but it's collecting the renewal to renew your policy in a year.

A word of caution - borrowers paying their own escrows need to be very careful and pay those bills immediately. If the lender does not have evidence of renewal by the anniversary date, they can and will obtain what is called a force-placed insurance policy, likely 3x the current premium. This can quickly put a borrower in arrears with their payment. In fact, that is how most find out about the forced policy, by getting past due notices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages