Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM

161 posts, read 645,247 times

Advertisements

Or am I better off going lender by lender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Lending Tree is like any other marketing tool -- it is a way for a lenders to get "leads" on potential clients. While I am sure that many people have gotten good service from the lenders that use the service, there are also plenty that have been just a number to an over worked lender.

There is nothing magic about the lenders that use the service and the rates that people get through the service are no better than those that you can get "walking off the street" into any lender's actual office where at least you know that if you NEED to drop off some paperwork or get a answer as if they REALLY will have everything ready BY CLOSING you can camp out and see the work getting done...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM

835 posts, read 3,977,249 times
It depends- how do you feel about your contact information being sold to lenders and/or brokers. Lending Tree is just a lead company.

Like Chett said find your self a local broker or lender that you can meet in person and look in the eye. You probably didn't buy your last TV or car from the internet so why would you make the single biggest purchase of your life on the internet?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 PM

666 posts, read 1,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
It depends- how do you feel about your contact information being sold to lenders and/or brokers. Lending Tree is just a lead company.

Like Chett said find your self a local broker or lender that you can meet in person and look in the eye. You probably didn't buy your last TV or car from the internet so why would you make the single biggest purchase of your life on the internet?
Its not really making the purchase on the internet. The internet is being used as a means to link a buyer to a potential lender. As stated, its a lead generation tool for lenders.

You may or may not get good results through Lending Tree. It seems to be hit or miss during different economic conditions.

I've heard that lenders have to pay almost $20k to get set up in Lending Tree plus a per lead fee. Two comments regarding this:

#1: Does the fact that its a significant cost to the lender ensure that you are dealing with, at the very least, a legitimate company?

#2: The lenders will have to make up for the significant costs of using Lending Tree somehow...i.e., embedded fees.

I had one good lender experience through Lending Tree. I received extremely fast, professional, and responsive service from this person. Unfortunately I did not go with this lender due to the fees being higher than going directly through a major national bank.

If you are ok with potentially getting hounded by phone calls / emails, what will it hurt? Just do your research on the lender and carefully review what they'll be charging you in the form of admin / origination fees.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
I'll let the Loan Officers jump in, but it's my understanding that this is a great way to REDUCE your credit score due the numerous pulls on your credit report. Am I right?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

666 posts, read 1,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I'll let the Loan Officers jump in, but it's my understanding that this is a great way to REDUCE your credit score due the numerous pulls on your credit report. Am I right?
Mortgage related hits against your credit report within a 14 day window count as one inquiry.

See - "What to know about rate shopping" section:

Credit Inquiries: How Credit Checks Affect Your FICO Score - myFICO

Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I've had many buyers contact lending tree, and ususally get out of state lenders responding to them, and they have no clue about Texas mortgage laws. Texas has some of the more strict lending rules compared to other states, and the out of state lenders give bad approvals and closings never happen on time.

More time than not, I have to pull my buyers from their lending tree contact and put them with a local lender so they can understand what loans they actually qualify for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages