Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 06:32 PM

172 posts, read 509,960 times

Advertisements

If I decide to buy a brand new home directly from the builder, in a newly created subdivision, do I need a realtor? Why?

What are the pros and cons of buying in a newly created subdivision?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
You do not need a Realtor to buy directly from a Builder. Without the Realtor the Builder has less commission to pay leaving you with a tiny bit of room to ask the Builder for an extra or 2.

If you have been working with a Realtor for a while then it would be the right thing to do is let your Realtor do the tranaction with you. Dont just leave them flat after they invested time in you already. Their commission is smaller then if they were to sell a standard listing anyway.

But bottom line is that it is insane to buy any home now especially a new one. As prices continue to fall, keep in mind that in Stock Trading 101 first day of class they teach to play momentum. And right now the momentum is falling faster then a fat man from a plane without a parachute.

Besides....why buy any home at retail price if there are thousands of them out there selling for 40 cents on a dollar at foreclosure?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Well starters I want to address some problems with desertsun41's logic / analogies -- as Galileo demonstrated a REALLY long time ago, in the absence of other forces objects of unequal mass will fall to earth at the SAME rate: Galileo's Diluted Gravity

Fat guys and peas would BOTH fall out of an airplane and SPLAT at the same time.

In the context of REAL ESTATE this is important, because if the forces eroding home values are like gravity then EXPENSIVE homes, CHEAP house, OLD houses, NEW houses, UGLY houses, PRETTY house, DESIRABLE houses and DESPICABLE house would all SPLAT in the same way. This is simply NOT the case!

I do agree with desertsun41 that there are some TERRIFIC values in a handful of foreclosures / REO properties, but there are also LOTS of clunkers. If the OP has done has the homework to determine if there are such properties that can meet their needs AND evaluated the short term and long term value offered by the developer of the new home I STRONGLY disagree that it is "insane to buy any home now".

I fact I think that for people that can take advantage of true "below wholesale" prices that some distressed properties represent there are both short term and long term gains to be had.

That said, I have a personal bias AGAINST most new subdivisions as I know TOO MANY buyers that have been the last to get to a game of musical chairs. Developers are notorious for leaving buyers high and dry, from not fulfilling terms of the contract, to stopping work / going bankrupt with buyers deposits GONE, to making an abrupt 'down market' shift to homes built AFTER yours, there are HUNDREDS of things that can go wrong with a new subdivision. Even an excellent buyer's agent can only do so much to make suggestions to strengthen the buyer's position and a lot of "crystal ball" stuff is needed to see what the future may hold.

If you have your heart set on a new home, and you are confidant that you have made a thorough evaluation of the likely cost of an existing home I would argue that a buyer's agent MAY be a good person to have in your corner, but I would argue that the time to pick such an agent is pretty early in the process for you to get "maximum value" from such a person. If you have basically hammered the builder to their crazy lowest price, gotten the most saleable model on the most desirable lot, understand how the 'punch list' needs to be addressed and all the other details of buying from a builder then this is probably TOO LATE for a buyer's agent to do much for you. In fact if I want to "rat out" many such agreements are merely a way for a lazy, not particularly competant agent to eek out a commission off of friends and relatives that they hound...

Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM

228 posts, read 1,205,066 times
I took the plunge and bought a home from a builder. No realtor involved. I'm tired of renting and having roommates and landlords. I want something I can call my own and make my own. I'm closing on the 27th and can't wait to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages