Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
If rates went to 5.875% and that's what you close at, the rate may never drop low enough in the future to refinance. The only reason they got down where they were in the last couple of months is because of the gov't intervention. Hopefully we never see that again.
Exactly! Some people believe it is inevitable that mortgage rates will drop [back] again. That's not necessarily so... Government intervention has artificially created the recent low mortgage rates. Whose to say those low rates will remain. Mortgage rates at some lenders spiked by as much as 1 percent on Wednesday and saw little relief on Thursday.

Mortgage rates’ rise may end refinance boom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
I'm locked at 4.5% with my application going to the underwriter today. Everything looks solid, and I have enough equity that I'm not worried about the appraisal. I should be "saving" about $350 per month. In reading the MSNBC story, I'm surprised that it states the average saving is between $300-$400 per month and it's anticipated to help the economy in that people will spend that extra cash on going out more, buying more, etc. A story I read a few days ago stated that the average household carries over $10K in credit card debt. Wouldn't common sense say to send that "extra" money to pay off debt or pay extra to the principal? Maybe not for those for whom the refi makes the monthly payment manageable, but still...

I've been paying ahead all along but will still write the same check each month. It's just than an additional $350 will be going to principal rather than buying a bigger TV or eating out more often.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'm locked at 4.5% with my application going to the underwriter today. Everything looks solid, and I have enough equity that I'm not worried about the appraisal. I should be "saving" about $350 per month. In reading the MSNBC story, I'm surprised that it states the average saving is between $300-$400 per month and it's anticipated to help the economy in that people will spend that extra cash on going out more, buying more, etc. A story I read a few days ago stated that the average household carries over $10K in credit card debt. Wouldn't common sense say to send that "extra" money to pay off debt or pay extra to the principal? Maybe not for those for whom the refi makes the monthly payment manageable, but still...

I've been paying ahead all along but will still write the same check each month. It's just than an additional $350 will be going to principal rather than buying a bigger TV or eating out more often.
We thought about this, as well, but it doesn't make sense to pay down principal more quickly with a rate so low. After tax savings on mortgage interest, your actual interest rate may be something like 3.5%. Invest that money rather than paying into principal, you could easily see a better return than 3.5% over the course of your mortgage. That's what we've decided to do. I think we'll come out ahead in the end.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Very few people have a solid grasp of what truly is a "normal" amount of inflation:

The Inflation of the 1970s

I suspect those who think inflationary pressures are growing are listening to the talking heads constantly trying to hawk their service on the 24x7 invest-o-rama programs. Somehow I don't such sources are to be trusted.

No they are looking at past times when teh fed lowered rates as they have now and national debt was high also. The fed has always been late in raising rates before inflation kicks in. This as stated has nothing to do wiuth that its the feds not buyign enough treasuries in the markets opinion.Also China seems to be buying mosre commodties than investing inh treasuries lately.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Friendly and pre-emptive advice:

Go back through your paperwork and make sure your lock in letter is completed and signed. Know your lock expiration date and contact your title company and make sure everything on your end is in line. Make sure you will be able to close and fund (go thru rescission). Sit on your loan officer until you are closed.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM

180 posts, read 694,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Friendly and pre-emptive advice:

Go back through your paperwork and make sure your lock in letter is completed and signed. Know your lock expiration date and contact your title company and make sure everything on your end is in line. Make sure you will be able to close and fund (go thru rescission). Sit on your loan officer until you are closed.
^^good advice, although if you have a competent LO working for you, you should be fine. (that is sometimes a big 'if')

Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 AM

392 posts, read 1,539,416 times
never assume that the person working for you is competent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages