U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 04:00 PM

87 posts, read 263,783 times

Advertisements

I bought a new Lennar home in Cinco SW outside of Houston, TX in February 2009 for $270,000. It was a good deal for the home we got. 3200 sq ft, 4bed, 3.5 bath, good location.

I may be getting a job offer out of state. It may be too good to pass up. If I have to list my house so soon after buying I am curious as to the resale on a home that is "new" but lived in for a few months. I wasn't planning on selling so soon, but the job offer is good.

I am not originally from the area, but I know Cinco SW is a sought after location.

I have added:

Water softener $2500
Gutters $1500
Patio expansion $3000

There is still new construction in the area, so I would be competing with that.

Any ideas as to as what I could list it for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:44 PM

1,675 posts, read 6,624,400 times
You should contact a realtor in your area that can help. If you are just looking for an idea, look through listings yourself and see what similar homes of your age are selling for. Also, check out what the builders are selling new homes for.

As far as the things you added, dont even consider those toward the price you list for.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:04 AM

8,169 posts, read 20,096,327 times
Also, consider the fact MUCH of the country is in what we call declining markets, values ARE dropping. Most new homes take a few months to build and their appraisal is usually dated closer to the time the contract was written than the date of closing. Did you know the many of the new homes lost value before they were completed in the past 12 months? I had one such customer walk away from a 50K deposit because his Toll home lost almost 100K before the home was complete. (New home appraisals are good up to 240 days).

So, you have the POTENTIAL for loss of value while the home is built, and, then the potential while you were in the home.

Now the good news: a quick search shows no one has Houston or Katy or Sugarland area on their defined declining market list. In fact, I couldn't find any 77xxx zip codes flagged. But, I don't know that you will make any money either....By the time you calculate realtor fees and seller costs, you most likely will realize a loss. And I agree 100% with Victor - what you have added to the home adds value to you, not necessarily into the sales price.

Do consult a Realtor.....your biggest competition is the new home builder you bought from if he is still active in your area - price and immediate delivery will be your only lures to potential buyers. Do consult your mortgage paperwork and see if you have an assumable mortgage (especially if FHA).

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but want you to be prepared for some tough truth.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 AM

87 posts, read 263,783 times
Thanks. I am willing to take a loss up to around $10-20K total. Any more that that I would not sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or