Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 AM

156 posts, read 270,196 times

Advertisements

How much house would you buy if you had the following scenario?

Wife earns: 65K/year
Husband earns: $55/hour (self employed)

30-50K downpayment

Zero debt/no kids

We're confused as to how much to spend on a house. We're just all over the place. What would you guys do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If you can document yearly earnings for the husband that translates into $110,000 annually for the past two years, and his business has no obvious ties to troubled industry that translates into terrific income of $175K. You could easily qualify for a mortgage of over $500K, though if this is over the conforming limit for your area that may be a sticking point that lenders would extract a hefty premium. Coupled with only $50K as a max downpayment you would need to figure out alternatives to PMI.

If you are in an area where the conforming limit is $417K I would prefer to see you (as first time home buyers) shop in that range...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks chet for the advice.
We're thinking no more than 350K. But even this number kinda scares me.
I'm just wondering if I am just worrying too much about job loss or something. We do have an emergency fund on top of our downpayment, so I think we're ok.
But the mortgage payment of over 2K kinda scares me. (I guess also because our apartment only costs $900/month also).

Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM

733 posts, read 4,654,352 times
How much house to buy? The real question is how much do you really need?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
In similar boat. Trying to balance cost/size/want/need. Pain. Our issue is we want a midsize house but one that is updated nicely. If you look at more expensive houses in my area you get more SIZE but not more updated. So we are having tough time finding right sized house for right price with right updates.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
How much house to buy? The real question is how much do you really need?
If you ask me, I think 1800-2000. If you ask my husband, he'll say 2500-3000+ lol.

But the price also determines location. It's not necessarily just how big. If we're closer to our offices, it's pricier. So we're not sure if we should spend more (for less house) to be closer.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
The bigger the house the bigger the upkeep..

I'd buy smaller and put the savings in the bank...

You can always up size later.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:43 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
Thanks chet for the advice.
We're thinking no more than 350K. But even this number kinda scares me.
I'm just wondering if I am just worrying too much about job loss or something. We do have an emergency fund on top of our downpayment, so I think we're ok.
But the mortgage payment of over 2K kinda scares me. (I guess also because our apartment only costs $900/month also).
I can empathise with your situation completely. We are currently renting a 2 BR apartment for a little over $700/mo, and even though we were approved for over $400k on ONE salary, we decided to buy a house for under half that amount, because we would like for life to be completely comfortable using one salary - including things outside of a mortgage payment.

IMO, just because you *can* afford a certain mortgage, it doesn't mean you *should* put yourself in that situation.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
If you ask me, I think 1800-2000. If you ask my husband, he'll say 2500-3000+ lol.

But the price also determines location. It's not necessarily just how big. If we're closer to our offices, it's pricier. So we're not sure if we should spend more (for less house) to be closer.
This is a really good point. After much deliberation, my family chose the smaller, more expensive house within an easy hike of work and public transportation (i.e., light rail). We are surrounded by shopping and even the dentist is just down the block. The convenient location has allowed our family of four to live comfortably with one car, which is a huge reduction in our living expenses. On the downside, the house is older and upkeep is more expensive than the newer, exurban tract house in which we previously lived. That said, because my husband's commute takes minutes, he has time in the evenings to do a lot of the household maintenance himself.

I say buy just a little bit bigger than your minimum. Now is not the time to stretch financially, so keep your total ownership expenses below the 30% of net income mark. Yes, I know that's really conservative, but in the long run, I think that the lack of financial stress will make it worthwhile.

BTW, where are you planning to purchase?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-01-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 04:35 PM

196 posts, read 574,426 times
Depends on your goals in life.... Set your savings goals first and then do a budget working backwards to see what you are comfortable with paying in a mortgage after you meet your saving goals.

We have always lived in homes that are around 2700 - 3000 sq. ft. (2 adults, 2 kids and 2 large dogs) Life as well as the mortgage payment was always comfortable. Then we had to move very quickly and ended up renting a very nice place, but it is only 1200 sq. ft. and I realized how much money was going out the door in utilities, maintenance, etc.... Now that the retirement account is not looking so good anymore, I personally will keep my mortgage on my next home as small as possible and invest/save the difference. We consider it a lucky do over!

But whatever you do, have your top amount set in stone before looking - it is very easy to creep up when you see what more money can buy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages