Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have the scoop?

I've looked at the website FinancialStability.gov | U.S. Department of the Treasury
I've called Fannie Mae
I've called my lender

..and no one can tell me anything.

I want to know what kind of closing costs I'll have to pay and if I am stuck with the lender that services my loan or if I can shop around.
My lender charges a 1% origination fee which didn't bother me when the relocation company paid it. Now I'd rather not pay it. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Does anyone have the scoop?

I've looked at the website FinancialStability.gov | U.S. Department of the Treasury
I've called Fannie Mae
I've called my lender

..and no one can tell me anything.

I want to know what kind of closing costs I'll have to pay and if I am stuck with the lender that services my loan or if I can shop around.
My lender charges a 1% origination fee which didn't bother me when the relocation company paid it. Now I'd rather not pay it. TIA
You actually have more information than most homeowners right now, on a program that has less that one week exposure and another 3 weeks to go before it's available . The fact you have verified it's a FannieMae loan already puts you ahead of the pack.

There will be two components to the refinance side of HASP: a manual underwriting of the file, Refi Plus (can only be done by the servicer) and DU (automated underwriting system) Refi Plus (can be done by any Fannie Mae DU lender).

Right now, the lenders are trying to figure out how they are going to release the program. The way DU Refi Plus was written, any FannieMae lender w/ Desktop Underwriting capabilities will be able to offer the refinance of that loan. Once they figure out what they can and can't offer, you will see a greater concentration of lenders offering the program.

Hang tight, it's not that much longer.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You actually have more information than most homeowners right now, on a program that has less that one week exposure and another 3 weeks to go before it's available . The fact you have verified it's a FannieMae loan already puts you ahead of the pack.

There will be two components to the refinance side of HASP: a manual underwriting of the file, Refi Plus (can only be done by the servicer) and DU (automated underwriting system) Refi Plus (can be done by any Fannie Mae DU lender).

Right now, the lenders are trying to figure out how they are going to release the program. The way DU Refi Plus was written, any FannieMae lender w/ Desktop Underwriting capabilities will be able to offer the refinance of that loan. Once they figure out what they can and can't offer, you will see a greater concentration of lenders offering the program.

Hang tight, it's not that much longer.

Thanks. Actually the only reason I even looked into it was because I was going through our credit reports and it says right there that we have Fannie Mae loan. Then I remember hearing about it on Clark Howard so I tried to look into it some more.

I am glad I am not going to have to be stuck with Wells Fargo.

Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM

114 posts, read 475,994 times
Has anyone refinanced under this program? I just called my lender to inquire about refinancing options, and the loan officer told me I qualified for this. The interest rate he quoted me was not as competitive as others I've seen, but he said that under this program, I get $2500 towards closing costs. No appriasal or payment documentation needed since my loan is currently with them. However, I wouldn't be able to use the $2500 towards another lender, only through them....

Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerak31 View Post
Has anyone refinanced under this program? I just called my lender to inquire about refinancing options, and the loan officer told me I qualified for this. The interest rate he quoted me was not as competitive as others I've seen, but he said that under this program, I get $2500 towards closing costs. No appriasal or payment documentation needed since my loan is currently with them. However, I wouldn't be able to use the $2500 towards another lender, only through them....
I do not believe there was anything on all the links I read on the subject. Your lender is either lying to you or is claiming to give you a discount when they are really not doing it because of higher rates. Call around and find out what other lenders can do for you.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,634 times
There are 2 similar but very different programs within HARP.

1- Freddie Mac.
No 30 day lates on mortgage payment in the last 12 months.
No credit score/ LTV adjustments as in trdaitional qualifying.
You can only refi through your current loan servicer or broker who works with your loan servicer.
Closing costs and prepaid items (escrow account deposits) that can be rolled into the loan are capped at $2500.
Max LTV is 105%- no proof of income or assets.
Must have had 20% equity when loan was taken out.
Owner occupied, 2nd homes, and investments properties are eligible with no maximum of financed properties.

2- Fannie Mae.
No 60 day lates in the last 12 months.
Credit score/ LTV adjustments are less than traditional qalifying.
You can refi through an DU lender or broker.
Closing costs and prepaid items (escrow account deposits) that can be rolled into the loan are not capped.
Max LTV is 105%- must prove income and assets.
Must have had 20% equity when loan was taken out.
Owner occupied, 2nd homes, and investments properties are eligible with a maximum of 4 financed properties.

In both programs you may not receive ANY cash at closing. 2nd mortgages can't be paid off. No new 2nd mortgages allowed.

These are the basics of both programs.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
There are 2 similar but very different programs within HARP.

1- Freddie Mac.

You can only refi through your current loan servicer or broker who works with your loan servicer.

Closing costs and prepaid items (escrow account deposits) that can be rolled into the loan are capped at $2500.

So there is the $2500 in question. I am going to presume, Nerak,that your loan investor is Freddie Mac. Note that you are not receiving $2500 in closing cost assistance, you are merely being allowed to roll the closing costs into the loan. You're still paying for them, but you won't need any money up front.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I have worked for six months to work a refinance through my servicer as I have a Fannie loan. I qualify on all points for the Home Affordable Modification Program but they will not move forward because we are currently unemployed. I have explained to a half dozen people that I am current with a 6+% loan and a 800+ credit rating so it is even a better bet that I would stay current at a rate 2 points lower. I am not looking for a handout or subsidy, just a refinance. No help from any current programs!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have worked for six months to work a refinance through my servicer as I have a Fannie loan. I qualify on all points for the Home Affordable Modification Program but they will not move forward because we are currently unemployed. I have explained to a half dozen people that I am current with a 6+% loan and a 800+ credit rating so it is even a better bet that I would stay current at a rate 2 points lower. I am not looking for a handout or subsidy, just a refinance. No help from any current programs!
I can see your point of view, BUT from the lender's view you are current now, but for how long?
Just like a "normal" refinance you would not qualify if you are currently unemployed.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

I don't remember seeing anything about income for the government program. Call other lenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages