Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
So Debsi, in the case that the bank is actually made whole by their PMI claim, I am assuming that they cannot come after the mortgagee for a deficiency.... I would think that that is double-dipping?

And if they didn't truly experience a loss because they were made whole, I don't think that it would be appropriate to report a loss and 1099 you either, no?

However, it's becoming clearer that the PMI company could come after you for the money spent.... but would a claim against you by the PMI company be considered a "deficiency"? Could you still be 1099'ed considering you didn't settle a loan for a lower amount with the PMI company specifically?

Again... all hypothetical questions... so feel free to throw in any other ideas or variables.. but I'd love to see what the possible outcomes could be.

Thanks!
Once again - the mortgage insurer may be subrogated to the bank's rights and be able to sue the defaulting borrower for the sum paid to the bank by the insurer. It's not a deficiency judgment awarded to the bank - it's a subrogation claim prosecuted by the mortgage insurer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
Thanks for your questions and answers, hypothetical or real. I am facing something similar three years after losing my house. I had to move for work and couldn't sell it, right in the middle of the crash. Anyway, the mortgage co is the one coming after me for a deficiency. I know things weren't handled correctly, lots of shady stuff went on with the foreclosure. Anyway, I had pmi which added about $100. a month to my payment. I asked about what it was, but I never saw a policy. The name is even obscure something like Primary Mortgage Insurance Co. whatever. I know nothing about it and am facing bankruptcy after four years of pulling myself up from the mess all because of this deficiency in which the bank was paid.... If that ain't double dipping, then I don't know what is? Yes, it would have been much better to have paid the mortgage as I agreed, but I chose to save myself instead of the house. There is a story in each foreclosure and it could happen to anyone should life events occur that no one is quite prepared for. So, I am wondering if I can fight it? How is it legal for the mortgage company to collect twice? I do understand somewhat if insurance didn't cover the loss. Did I mention that the bank is one of the banks who are paying out mega bucks for improper foreclosure practices and I was just informed that I may receive some compensation for the way mine was handled. Crazy stuff, all of it. I probably will never own property again though I have worked for over 30 years in a professional field fulltime. Any serious tips are welcome. Catching my breath in Tn.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Some random facts about PMI -

PMI protects no one but the lender. Period. It 100% belongs to the lender and no one else is entitled to see that policy. No one is entitled to the proceeds of the payout of the policy except the lender.

If a borrower defaults, the PMI rarely covers 100% of the lender's losses. It only covers a certain percentage.

If a borrower has their MI removed during the life of the mortgage, the insurance will no longer pay out. On an FHA loan, the MIP is present whether the borrower pays it in their monthly payment or not.

A borrower need not be paying PMI in their payment for PMI to be present. Lenders will often obtain PMI on pools, or groups, of mortgages.

If a loan goes to foreclosure, there is a 100% chance the file will be audited by both, the lender and the PMI company. Now that FC have slowed down, the audits are fairly extensive and no longer the quick audit of year's past.

If FHA MIP is present on the loan, it will be at least 3 years from the date HUD paid out on the claim before that borrowers will be eligible for another FHA loan. Some claims can be 18 months after the FC before it is paid.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,632 times
I am going through something similar with PMI. I had a property that was foreclosed back in 2009 in Homestead, Florida. In June of this year (2014), PMI decides to come after me for a deficiency judgment of little more than $38,000.00.

Well to their surprise I still had my closing documents from 2005. I was able to pull my PMI Disclosure Document where it clearly explains the why PMI was required for my mortgage. However, it fails to say that I am responsible for any deficiencies or moneys in case of default or that they have the right to come after me for any amount.

So, I went to court on June 16, 2014 for a hearing and I now have a second hearing scheduled for October 22, 2014. So far so good. I think I have a good chance at winning this one. They have no grounds to stand on.

I guess they thought I had no closing documents anymore. Thank God I kept those.

Does any one know if there is a statute of limitations in Florida for PMI to come after me. Thanks. Good luck to all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages