U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 06-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Location: New Jersey
59 posts, read 383,837 times
Reputation: 47


A property (single family) we are bidding on is partially in a flood plain. The house(or dwelling) is NOT in the flood plain but the backyard is.

It is located in bergen county, NewJersey and the flood plain rating is AE.

The owners have an official letter from the town (LOMA) that states that the house is NOT in a flood plain but the property is.

Would we be required to pay flood insurance on this property ?

Feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 PM
48,503 posts, read 92,708,703 times
Reputation: 18244
Even if its not in the last few years many houses close to flood plain have been rechecked and changed. Alot of the old maps are really off alot.Ipersonally would buy in such a area if I didn't want or could afford the flood insurance.Where I live such a property would usually require a new survey when sold by the financing agency.It can make a ton pof difference in flood insurnce also as to cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
3 posts, read 6,330 times
Reputation: 13
Flood insurance is required whan a STRUCTURE is in a Special Flood Hazard Area, zone A or zone V. So, NO, at this time you would not be required by Federal law to carry flood insurance. Your lender could require you to buy it, if you agree to it in your loan agreement. In that case you would be eligible for the relatively cheap rates: zone X rates or probably even the Preferred Risk Program if there have been no or limited flood losses for that property.
- Keep in mind that FEMA is updating Flood Insurance Rate Maps. Perhaps the new map for your property WILL indicate the structure is in a SFHA, requiring flood insurance. Then you're screwed. Buyer beware. Flood insurance advice is available for a very reasonable fee at FloodQuoteAdvicedotcom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top