Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 AM

156 posts, read 270,099 times

Advertisements

So I talked to a mortgage broker today about getting a preapproval. He ran the numbers basing it on just my salary and leaving out my husband's (since his income comes from self-employment). I make only about 60K a year (before taxes) and I was approved for 350K mortgage!! I was like that's insane. He's like well you earn 5K a month and you have no debt.

I'm like I know how much I take home every month and that's 3400 per month after taxes. And apparently I can afford a 2400/month mortgage.

Does anyone else think this is crazy? Or am I just too conservative?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
You are not crazy...

Its that type of thinking by the mortgage industry that contributed to the crazy financial situation we are in... the other half of the stupidity were the people that took them up on the generous offer so bought too much home and over extended themselves.

Keep the sanity and stay the course.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times
You are not being conservative, you are just being realistic. There are other monthly expenses that are not really debt that need to be accounted for. I would definitely sit down and figure out your real monthly expenses and work from there. Our mortgage sets us at around 20% DTI ratio after taxes, and we enjoy the capability to save or spend however we want without worrying about watching our bank account every month. There are enough stresses out there to add another to the pot.

And just because you qualify for a certain amount, doesn't mean you have to get that amount of loan.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
I use more than $1k a month every month... it is insane... Perhaps the mortgage broker is counting on you to miss a few payments so the mortgage industry can rip you off on fees... they are trying to maximize their profit by counting on you overbuying and missing payments or underpaying...

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,299 times
something similar happened to us.....we were told a much higher amount than we were comfortable with.....we just stuck to our guns and shopped around within our budget......

Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 AM

835 posts, read 3,977,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I use more than $1k a month every month... it is insane... Perhaps the mortgage broker is counting on you to miss a few payments so the mortgage industry can rip you off on fees... they are trying to maximize their profit by counting on you overbuying and missing payments or underpaying...
Mortgage Brokers have nothing to do with the servicing of a loan or the collection of fees for late or missed payments. You've been watching too much evening news lately where everything related to homes is the fault of the mortgage broker.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
We had a similar scenario happen to us. However, we just figured out how much WE wanted to spend every month on a mortgage and went from there. I'd never trust someone else to tell me how much I feel comfortable paying for something as expensive as a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages