Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 AM

83 posts, read 266,121 times

Advertisements

I am buying a home and submitted an application for mortgage about a month ago. I've been working with this loan company since 11/08 on trying to get a mortgage. The first loan fell through b/c of some problems with the community well that the underwriters did not like. So this is my second time around with this company on a different house. I was told the loan would close last week, but then it didn't. My loan officer came back with several conditions that I had to send in. It's been one thing after another with the underwriters, and I thought all my credit issues should've been taken care of when they looked at my file the first time around....
Well, this past weekend, the owners of the home I'm trying to buy offered me owner financing, at a much better terms than the loan agency did. I accepted and we are set to close tomorrow (wow it only took 3 days to close!). Anyways, I contacted my loan officer and told her to cancel my application. Now she is threatening to make me pay the title fee and loan fees, even though I am not closing with them anymore. She told me that the lawyers office would usually eat the cost of the first title search (which I had no control over that not closing) but I would have to pay for the second title search...Can they do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,131 times
If you still want the property - you can do a "Rent Back", signing an agreement with the owners, paying them rent until your loan goes through.

If you want to walk away, the broker cannot charge you for something they didn't delivery (the loan). Besides if too much time passes, they are rerquired by the investor to run a new credit credit and a new title report.

I was a loan officer for 8 eight years, out of the 1000's of loans I wrote, there were a few borrowers that loans did not go through. I remember you have to qualify borrowers for loan, then wait for the appraisal to come back. Then the title search was ordered.

If a title search was ordered and an appraisal came back with a low value. Who was responsible for paying for the title report - the broker..

They can't do anything to hold you responsible for paying.......

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM

83 posts, read 266,121 times
I paid for the appraisal and that all came back above purchase price. Everything has just taken so long and I am frustrated with the loan company. My loan officer said she would send me an invoice for all the work they did, but do I have to pay? I am not closing with them.

The funny thing is that when I told my loan officer this, she told me that she was all set to close Thursday....NEWS TO ME!!! That was the first time I had heard that....plus I didn't send in my underwriter conditions, so there is no way the loan should close without them....
Should I just ignore the threats?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
You are not liable to pay for anything. Cease all verbal communication. Tell them to communicate with you only in writing. This will straighten out any attempts to coerce you into a loan with them.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
I paid for the appraisal and that all came back above purchase price. Everything has just taken so long and I am frustrated with the loan company. My loan officer said she would send me an invoice for all the work they did, but do I have to pay? I am not closing with them.

The funny thing is that when I told my loan officer this, she told me that she was all set to close Thursday....NEWS TO ME!!! That was the first time I had heard that....plus I didn't send in my underwriter conditions, so there is no way the loan should close without them....
Should I just ignore the threats?
Did you sign anything that says you are responsible for any costs if you do not close? I've never had lender ask to sign anything like that but check just in case. If you didn't then tell the loan officer that that was not part of the agreement and to stop harassing you or you'll file a complaint against them.
Usually the only thing you loose is the application fee that pays for the appraisal and the credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages