Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM

179 posts, read 537,050 times

Advertisements

Would you refinance if you had to pay 4000 in closing costs and 10000 towards principle (330k loan amount after the 10k) in exchange for 250 a month reduction in your monthly mortgage (30 year fixed)?
Or would you keep your 14k pay other debt (debt with 0 interest for 3 years) down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 12:23 PM

32 posts, read 84,388 times
What type of loan is your current mortgage? What would be the change in rate if you did the Re-Fi?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweyecue View Post
What type of loan is your current mortgage? What would be the change in rate if you did the Re-Fi?
current mort: 30 year.
monthly payment if i refi would be 250 less than what i pay now which is 2550.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,171 times
You won't break even on the re-finance for 56 months or like 4.5 years so you need to be planning on staying in the home for some time beyond that for this to make financial sense IMO.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
You won't break even on the re-finance for 56 months or like 4.5 years so you need to be planning on staying in the home for some time beyond that for this to make financial sense IMO.
that's incorrect.
10k of the money i will pay is going towards the principle....so in effect, i'm reducing the amount of money i owe. you should look at the break even point in regards to the money you're "wasting" which is the 4k i'm spending 'to' do the refinancing.

that 4k is being recoverd in 16 months.

(it is true that i will have 14k in 56 months, but at that point, i'll have 14k PLUS at least 10k less in my principle)

Old 06-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
current mort: 30 year.
monthly payment if i refi would be 250 less than what i pay now which is 2550.
What I would consider in your situation are the following:

1. Why wouldn't you just pay the 10K down on your current loan? This will bring the total number of payments you make lower.

2. If you plan on staying in this house for a while and can afford the curent payments why gve the bank an extar $4000?

3. To refinance you would have to lock up another 10K in cash, consider that as well. No way to get it out if you suddenly need it a house is an extremly illiquid asset

Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,251,567 times
Smile More questions

How long will you be staying in the home?

When was your original loan started?

(I am a mortgage broker and I do this for a living. I'm an honest one and I have been in this position myself. I finally did refi when the rates hit the 4's back in 2003).

There is a way you may not have to put the $10K in - if your current loan is owned by Fannie Mae, you may be eligible for DU Refi Plus.

You can e-mail me if you want. I'm in Florida.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
How long will you be staying in the home?

When was your original loan started?

(I am a mortgage broker and I do this for a living. I'm an honest one and I have been in this position myself. I finally did refi when the rates hit the 4's back in 2003).

There is a way you may not have to put the $10K in - if your current loan is owned by Fannie Mae, you may be eligible for DU Refi Plus.

You can e-mail me if you want. I'm in Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loweyecue View Post
What I would consider in your situation are the following:

1. Why wouldn't you just pay the 10K down on your current loan? This will bring the total number of payments you make lower.

2. If you plan on staying in this house for a while and can afford the curent payments why gve the bank an extar $4000?

3. To refinance you would have to lock up another 10K in cash, consider that as well. No way to get it out if you suddenly need it a house is an extremly illiquid asset
by refinancing, i'm eliminating my PMI which is about 180 a month. aside from that, IF i'm able to get a lower rate, i will benefit from an additional 75 bucks that i will save in interest every month.

if i "just pay the 10k down on my current loan" and do NOT refi, my monthly payment would reduce by maybe 20 bucks (if that). this would be the worst case scenario since i'll simply just be out of my 10k!

The original loan was started in dec. 08 for 340k. since then, i've done major upgrades and my house was appraised for 440k. i am currently approved by the lender. everything is GO except the locked rate...my loan is currently with Wells fargo.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,756,299 times
Can't you pay down $10k, pay for a new appraisal, and then send the bank a request to have PMI dropped? Saves you about $3500. I thought that worked unless you were FHA.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 AM

I am not an expert on mortgages but I dont think you need to refinance in order to take advantage of your increased equity to wipe out your PMI. All you should need is the appraisal and you can go to the current loan holder and ask them to remove your PMI payments.

Secondly paying the 10K on your existing loan will not reduce the P&I part of your monthly payments by any amount not even 20 bucks, it will decrease the total number of payments you make over the term of the loan. If the extra 10K helps you wipe oute the PMI payment then that is a net gain to your monthly cash flow situation which does not require a re-fi.

If the new loan is at a higher rate and the only thing you gain is not having to pay PMI, I would just go to the bank with the appraisal and ask them to turn the PMI off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages