Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 AM

41 posts, read 316,650 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me some insight as to how to ask a lender to remove their "junk fees".
I have a lender who's charging us a commitment fee of $550 an application fee of $350 and an origination fee of 1%. I don't mind paying the origination fee, and possibly the application fee (which covers the appraisal and credit check) but the commitment fee is what I want to see waived.
I guess I am inexperienced and don't know how to go about asking them without saying "remove your junk fees"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,503 times
you'll likely be better off if you check with other lenders. ask for a Good Faith Estimate from each of them.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Your agent should call the lender for you and get it removed. If you have no agent, call other lenders, get other GFEs and show it to your lender.

Vicki

Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 PM

Your agent should call the lender for you and get it removed. If you have no agent, call other lenders, get other GFEs and show it to your lender.

Vicki

this may not be possible. committment fees and application fees may have legitimate purposes, the former going to cover the costs of the lender and the latter going to cover the costs of processing. appraisal fees and credit report fees should be listed separately as they are third parties fees.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moesgirl View Post
Can someone give me some insight as to how to ask a lender to remove their "junk fees".
I have a lender who's charging us a commitment fee of $550 an application fee of $350 and an origination fee of 1%. I don't mind paying the origination fee, and possibly the application fee (which covers the appraisal and credit check) but the commitment fee is what I want to see waived.
I guess I am inexperienced and don't know how to go about asking them without saying "remove your junk fees"
Try asking the (mortgage) broker that's working with you to reduce their fees(Origination). Who cares where the cash break to you comes from as long as it comes. If you're using your own bank, that may not work but should give you some leverage on the committment fee then. I'd just ask and complain about the fees, I'm guessing someone will give you a break somewhere. Good luck and let us know what progress you make!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:50 PM

185 posts, read 686,962 times
Isn't it the origination fee which is junk? From what i understand, it's the another way of saying points and someone with good-excellent credit shouldn't have to pay down their interest rate.

I believe a broker should get their fee on the spread and there are some legitimate processing fees.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwally View Post

Vicki

this may not be possible. committment fees and application fees may have legitimate purposes, the former going to cover the costs of the lender and the latter going to cover the costs of processing. appraisal fees and credit report fees should be listed separately as they are third parties fees.
My lenders do not charge excess fees. In my opinion, a $500 fee plus a $300 fee plus a 1% origination fee IS excessive. Obviously this buyer feels the same way. Not to mention the yield spread but this lender seems to be overcharging on his fees.
Vicki

Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Those fees seem excessive. I'd take my business elsewhere.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Isn't it the origination fee which is junk? From what i understand, it's the another way of saying points and someone with good-excellent credit shouldn't have to pay down their interest rate.

I believe a broker should get their fee on the spread and there are some legitimate processing fees.

An origination fee is a legitimate form of compensation for the originator and the mortgage company. Discount points reduce, or buy down, the interest rate on a loan. If an originator and mortgage company's compensation is soley from yield spread then the interest rate on the loan will be higher so that the lender can pay it.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 PM

My lenders do not charge excess fees. In my opinion, a $500 fee plus a $300 fee plus a 1% origination fee IS excessive. Obviously this buyer feels the same way. Not to mention the yield spread but this lender seems to be overcharging on his fees.
Vicki

The $500 fee was identified as a committment fee which covers the costs of the lender for funding the loan. The application fee of $350 covers the costs of processing the file, not the appraisal and the credit report; they are separate line items on the GFE. An origination fee is the compensation for the originator and the mortgage company. And it's impossible to know if yield spread is being charged without knowing the par rate for that program for that day and the rate the borrower was quoted. Some loans have YS, some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages