Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM

228 posts, read 1,204,566 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a mortgage through NVR? I'm looking at a Ryan Home and by financing through NVR I get a free finished basement and my closing costs are paid for.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of advice for me. I'm particularly interested in hearing if NVR all of sudden tacked on additional fees or costs when it came time to close on the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
hehehe........delivery date? If after April 16, 2009, they CANNOT legally require you to use NVR in order to receive incentives from the builder. It was suppose to be tomorrow, but attorneys for the home building lobbyists got a 90 day extension.

Want to hear your loan officer stutter? Ask him/her about the new RESPA regulations that were to go into effect 1/16/2009 and how that effects your loan. Now if you close before the 4/16/2009 date, you may be SOL.

To answer your question, you may not get the best rate and point lock in, they may push you to pay for a lock (making it hard to move your loan), and yes, their typical fees are a tad higher than most, but I don't think it's so much that they are high, they just aren't discounting like everyone else is.........title company too.

Your only hope in having the basement and the best financing is for the new RESPA regs to be in effect. But no lender, not one, can compete with a finished basement.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Wow... All I can say is that's awesome information. Your name fits.

My closing is looking like it will be sometime in May. I assume RESPA will wind up going into affect unless they get another extension. So far, they seem to have the best rate. Giving me a "preliminary" quote of 4.375% and -.125 points based on the "prequal" done by the builder's sales rep. But their applying my negative points to my closing costs which seems odd to me. I'm guessing it is because normally points are rolled into the closing costs, so my negative points are getting rolled into the closing costs.

I'm a first time buyer with literally zero debt, no late payments, 1 credit card, etc. I have about 11 years of established credit. My debt to income ratio is something like 22%? My credit is perfect on paper. LendingTree can't even come close to touching what they're giving me.

Any idea what NVR charges for closing costs?

If you have any other advice or suggestions on lenders, etc. I am ALL ears to hear it. I'm a newbie to this stuff and trying to absorb as much information as I can.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Of course Lending Tree can't touch that rate. And you know why? YOU CAN'T LOCK IN AT THAT RATE. (it's beyond low, sorry to say, and they are never that far below market). Ask them about long term locks, what rate and points are available......Stammer #2 and they will.

I can tell you I am giving you 4% - great rate......but you aren't going to lock. So, see what I am saying? Smoke and mirrors. It doesn't matter until you lock.

As for RESPA, let them know you know......send an email to your builder site agent with the question, "hey, what is this about the new RESPA regulations I heard about that were suppose to go into effect today? Is it true that once the extension is expired I am free to shop lenders?" Do not let them NOT answer that question. (Lol, they will rush your construction to avoid it). AS for would you be able to be protected by it (another question for them?), it could very well be for new loan applications only.....I don't know that you could be excluded. Are you in too deep to have them write into your contract that you would be able to benefit from any new RESPA (Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act) regulations.? (Q#3)

As for NVR Mortgages and Title's closing costs (they own the title company too), add about $800 to any other lender's quote.

As for the lender credit (negative points) to pay your closing, standard procedure, nothing *funny there.

You'll get a fair deal and keep asking them questions. Try to keep them answering your questions in writing, email is great. Create separate email folders now. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM

I haven't signed anything. I'm going tomorrow afternoon to discuss options and give them a good faith deposit. Later I will be meeting with the lender to discuss financing. Not sure when that will happen. I am emailing the builder's rep right now with the questions you gave me. All of my communication thus far has been through email. Good ole gmail saves everything.

With RESPA, if my rate lock expires I can shop for other lenders AND keep the incentives?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
I haven't signed anything. I'm going tomorrow afternoon to discuss options and give them a good faith deposit. Later I will be meeting with the lender to discuss financing. Not sure when that will happen. I am emailing the builder's rep right now with the questions you gave me. All of my communication thus far has been through email. Good ole gmail saves everything.

With RESPA, if my rate lock expires I can shop for other lenders AND keep the incentives?
Okay, first RESPA has been enforceable for years. This is new section of the law THAT WAS to go into effect tomorrow. The builders across the USA got a stay on the execution, so to say. For 90 Days. After 90 days the law is suppose to go into effect and THEN new loan applications (possibly loans in the pipeline, waiting to close). I went to pull the HUD regs and got a 572 page document and then another search pulled the Federal Register (where it's recorded as law on 86 pages......boring), so I poked around and found someone that eloquently spelled it out for you. This is from a law firm and is dead on as I remember the new regs:

12 | 19 | 2008 Legal e-Update

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUDâ€) adopted a final rule on November 17, 2008, that amends HUD’s regulations implementing the Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act (“RESPAâ€) in several significant respects. Builders that have affiliated settlement service providers, such as mortgage lenders, title companies and escrow companies, will be particularly interested in how the new rule’s revised definition of “required use†will affect them and their affiliates. Under RESPA, a consumer cannot be “required to use†a builder’s affiliated company for other settlement services.
Before the new rule was proposed, it was assumed by many that builders could condition buyer incentives, such as discounts on the sales price of a home, on the buyer’s use of the affiliated service provider as long as the use of the affiliate was optional and the builder was charging no more than the market price for the home before the discount. The incentive was tied to the use of the service provider under the theory that it qualified for the “bundled services exception†for an affiliated service provider. In fact, a consumer FAQ sheet on HUD’s own Web site supported this conclusion.
The revised definition of “required use†makes clear that (i) a referral to an affiliated settlement service provider would constitute “required use†if the referral includes economic disincentives that can be avoided or incentives that can be obtained only by utilizing the affiliate, and (ii) the “bundled services exception†applies only to settlement service providers, not builders or home sellers. Under the new rule, affiliated settlement service providers may still offer a combination (“bundleâ€) of settlement services, such as escrow and title services, at a total price (net of discount) lower than the sum of the market prices of the individual settlement services.
The final rule, which goes into effect on January 16, 2009, also makes other significant changes to the way RESPA is implemented. These include revisions to the Good Faith Estimate form and HUD-1/1A statement, which will be of interest to lenders and escrow companies in particular.
With the adoption of this new rule, existing buyer incentive programs should be reviewed carefully, particularly where affiliated settlement service providers are involved.

Found here: Luce Forward|News & Articles| New RESPA Rule Limits Home Builders' Ability to Incentivize Use of Affiliated Settlement Service Providers (http://www.luce.com/respa/ - broken link)

This article is from the builder's point of view:

HUD Blinks Over Incentives Rule

Under legal pressure, HUD agrees to delay prohibition on discounts connected with builders directing buyers to affiliated mortgage or title companies.

By: John Caulfield

[LEFT]The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has agreed to delay by 90 days the implementation of a final rule affecting the required use provision in the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA). That rule change was to go into effect on Jan. 16, but in all likelihood would have been delayed anyway by the U.S. District Court in eastern Virginia, which had ordered a hearing on Friday to weigh arguments for and against its granting a preliminary injunction postponing the enactment of HUD's RESPA revisions. The NAHB, which filed a lawsuit against HUD on Christmas Eve, had requested that hearing.
Brian Sullivan, a HUD spokesman, told BUILDER this morning that the department had acted on the advice of the U.S. Attorney's Office, which is representing HUD in this case, to agree to the delay so that it would have enough time to assemble the administrative records and other data it needs to mount its defense against the NAHB and co-plaintiffs, which include 13 large builders and their affiliated lenders and title companies.
"This is a court that likes to handle injunctions right away," says Sullivan. "And the court probably would have put a lot of pressure on the defendants to delay by saying that 'RESPA's been around for more than 30 years, what's another 90 days?' "
On Nov. 17, HUD published amendments to RESPAthat included a final rule that would eliminate an exception that allows builders to offer home buyers incentives—such as a price discount or guaranteed interest rate—if the buyers use a preferred title agency, mortgage company, or affiliated service provider. That exception has been on the books for 16 years.
NAHB spokeswoman Donna Reichle says that, on advice of counsel, the trade group isn't commenting on pending litigation against HUD. Therefore, BUILDER could not ascertain at press time if the NAHB had accepted HUD's agreement or whether that agreement made the preliminary injunction hearing moot.
However, HUD's agreement to delay certainly won't put an end to the NAHB's complaint about a final rule on required use its lawsuit calls "capricious" and contrary to existing law. The trade group insists that home buyers benefit from builder-lender affiliations, which make on-time closings more likely and "give buyers more choice in loan products and lower costs." Preventing closing delays is critical to builders at a time when many are struggling with cash flow and maintaining asset levels upon which their loans with banks are gauged. The NAHB contends that the rule change would prevent builders from purchasing forward commitments from affiliated lenders "that ensure their customers will have competitive financing." In addition, the NAHB says that dismantling these mortgage and title affiliations will lead to job losses (the implication being that some of these affiliated companies would cease to exist without their connections to builders), disruptions to builders' business models, and reductions in buyers at a time when the housing industry continues having difficulty selling houses.
HUD, on the other hand, wants to "delink," in Sullivan's words, all builder incentives tied to the use of an affiliated lender or service provider. It also contends that its final rule would bring greater transparency to the mortgage lending process. "HUD believes that some businesses have used ... the exception to steer consumers to affiliated settlement providers that may not provide the best mortgage products or settlement services for those consumers," Sullivan states.
In an e-mail to BUILDER yesterday, Sullivan provided three documented examples:
•A buyer was offered a $22,000 discount on the price of a home for using a builder's affiliated lender whose interest rate was a half percentage point higher than the market rate;
•A buyer was required to put up more earnest money and would lose a $2,000 "closing incentive" if it didn't use a builder's affiliated lender; and
•A builder offered a buyer a $3,000 incentive on the purchase price and a $6,000 discount toward closing costs if that buyer used an affiliated lender that charged an interest rate 1 percentage point higher than the market rate, as well as additional fees.
In its complaint, the NAHB challenges HUD's conclusions about the impact on buyers of builder-lender affiliations because, it claims, the government has failed to provide substantiating data and has chosen to ignore other consumer surveys that produce opposite findings. The NAHB also questions why HUD is in such a rush to change a 16-year-old rule, and points to a notification sent last August to HUD secretary Steve Preston by 244 members of Congress who considered the comment period for this rule change "not sufficient," and requested that HUD withdraw its proposal.
Sullivan scoffs at suggestions that there's been a "rush to regulate." And he says HUD agreed to the delay in the rule implementation in order to collect data that would support HUD's intended "vigorous defense" of its final rule.
HUD must also contend with a separate suit, filed by the Mortgage Brokers Association, that is trying to block a rule that, as of Jan. 1, 2010, would require lenders and mortgage broker to provide buyers with a "good faith estimate" that discloses loan terms and closing costs. HUD says this rule could save buyers up to $700 per closing. Mortgage brokers feel discriminated against because the rule doesn't apply to banks. TheWashington Post weighed in this morning on the side of HUD, stating that the government "properly drew a distinction between giving consumers more information about all the factors that have gone into their transactions, as opposed to requiring projections about what banks might get in a future resale of their loans. The new rule constitutes a modest but necessary step toward a more transparent housing market."[/LEFT]

HUD Blinks Over Incentives Rule - Legal Issues, Mortgages And Banking - Builder Magazine

But to answer your question: when this legislation goes into effect, IF YOUR LOAN IS IMPACTED (if it's driven by application date, you would be excluded), yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. But these builders are so far ahead of the rest of us on any of these loopholes.

Insist on writing it in? Not sure how that would work. Ryan does have an outside lender addendum, for buyers that are going to obtain financing NVR cannot provide.....but it's a tough sell to get them to agree.

Anyway, good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 PM

SmartMoney you must be a night owl... Me, I just can't sleep lolI guess my last question to you would be... Would increasing my down payment or monthly payment help sheild me from the possible extra fees? I'm mortgaging about 157000 with about 96k down.I appreciate your time and the plethora of information you've posted. Now I know why I never got into finance... I'd better stick with computers.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM

112 posts, read 851,850 times
I originally financed through NVR for their incentives. NVR doesn't hold onto any loans and immediately sells them. Mine was sold to soon after. At the time, their rates were probably .25% higher than the most competitive rates without buying any points. Why did I do this though? They offered to pay $10K worth of closing and offered in total over $100K of incentives/discount. I made sure there was no pre-payment penalty so I had the option to refinance. I also made sure the cost associated with closing was reasonable and since most of it was done in house, the final cost was comparable (not that it mattered since 95% of closing was paid for). Had they not offered me any incentives and a decent rate, I wouldn't have chosen them but instead, go for a better rate. If you do go with NVR, just know that they are only the middle man. Ask for all the documents up front to review and ask lots of questions. Initially, they charged me 1 point origination fee but after several phone calls, I had them remove it. A lot of the finance contingencies were on the offer/contract so I would carefully review that before signing on the dotted line.

Last edited by Espressoo; 01-16-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 AM

When you say 1/4 do you mean .25% or 25%. If one lender was giving 4% they were giving 5%?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM

112 posts, read 851,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
When you say 1/4 do you mean .25% or 25%. If one lender was giving 4% they were giving 5%?

Thanks
Sorry I wasn't clear. About 0.25% higher here and there. I called the LO a few times a day when the rates were dropping and was able to lock in at 6% (60 day lock) earlier this spring which was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages