Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times

Advertisements

We are within two weeks of closing on a house, but the underwriter has apparently raised a red flag on our application.
The situation is that we are purchasing as 1st time home buyers with a 10% downpayment and my income alone is enough to handle the monthly payments with good ratios. But, the bank wanted us to include my wife's projected income too (gives us 18/26 for our debt to income ratios), I think because of our low down payment. My wife is a under contract as a first year teacher. Her start date was July 1st but her 1st paycheck does not come until mid-August.

The underwriter wanted to know if she was tenured or her contract was otherwise guaranteed for next year. It's not, and apparently that is a problem and her income might have to be excluded. We were supposed to get a response back on this yesterday afternoon and are still waiting.

Does this sound right though? I thought I had read specifically about first year teachers under contract being allowed to use their projected income. The underwriter passed on no other information to our lender other than that the contract might not be acceptable if it was for only one year, but all teacher contracts are for only one year. Any idea what, if anything, we can do about to try to pre-emptively cut off any issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,522 times
If your income is adequate to qualify including all debts this shouldnt be an issue. Your income would have to cover all debts in your name, her name and jointly held.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM

374 posts, read 1,181,955 times
My wife was on our 1st year teaching contract and we had no problems getting our loan.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
We are within two weeks of closing on a house, but the underwriter has apparently raised a red flag on our application.
The situation is that we are purchasing as 1st time home buyers with a 10% downpayment and my income alone is enough to handle the monthly payments with good ratios. But, the bank wanted us to include my wife's projected income too (gives us 18/26 for our debt to income ratios), I think because of our low down payment. My wife is a under contract as a first year teacher. Her start date was July 1st but her 1st paycheck does not come until mid-August.

The underwriter wanted to know if she was tenured or her contract was otherwise guaranteed for next year. It's not, and apparently that is a problem and her income might have to be excluded. We were supposed to get a response back on this yesterday afternoon and are still waiting.

Does this sound right though? I thought I had read specifically about first year teachers under contract being allowed to use their projected income. The underwriter passed on no other information to our lender other than that the contract might not be acceptable if it was for only one year, but all teacher contracts are for only one year. Any idea what, if anything, we can do about to try to pre-emptively cut off any issues?
Sounds like there is no reason to have your wife on the loan. With decent credit you should be able to get approved with debt ratios twice that high. Even with 5 or 10% down.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:05 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
They took one look at my wife's credit and left her off the loan. She is on title, but her credit wasn't good enough to even help us. We didn't need it with my credit and job history thankfully.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
While my credit is solid, my wife has amazing credit. The underwriter ended up accepting the contract though apparently, as we never heard another word about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages