Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 23,776 times

Advertisements

Just a few tips for those who are self employed and want to apply for a mortgage loan. I'm by no means an expert, but I've learned some things along the way, and my saga STILL continues. These arent rules, just my experience.

Being single, non-homeowner, no children, and a small business owner I get taxed through the roof. But if you know you are going to be buying a home, it may be worth it to NOT take all your deductions so you can get a decent lean (provided you can afford it and the deduction is not reoccurring). For instance, I had 4k in continuing education costs. This education allowed me to increase my income because it added to the services I could do at my business, a fact that was reflected in my current bank statements. Unfortunately, that 4k cant be added back to my cash flow, and thus, this investment, which I am seeing a return on, is actually counted against me because it lessened my taxable income for that year. The increase in my income on my bank statements didn't matter either. It all came down to the previous years taxable income.

Make sure your taxable income is INCREASING. Gross growth doesn't matter. My gross was higher, but because I had more deductions (thanks in part to that 4k in education), the lender would not use my previous years (higher) taxes for an average. So I qualified for less. Of course, if your income is increasing, they'll probably average out previous years lower taxable income with your new higher income. Thus, lowering what you'd qualify for on your current income. But it still beats having a decreasing taxable income.

Talk to your accountant about depreciation vs writing off certain equipment and such up front. Depreciation may be added back to your cash flow, where claiming all the cost at once, wont. One time costs (like my 4k education), in my opinion, should be added back to cash flow and only reoccurring costs should not be added back, but unfortunalely for us, its NOT the reality.

Be ready with profit and loss statements. If you are a sole proprietor with a cash based business your bank statements probably wont match your P & L's, since sometimes we use cash to purchase business expenses, etc. That makes P & L's almost pointless and thus really irritating if you have to put them together at the last minute. Just remember, you are self employed, you should be used to being kicked around. If you can, make sure you deposit ALL your cash for at least 3 months before you want to apply for a loan. No need to beef up the P&L's. If they show HIGHER than your statements, they wont count towards your income. If they show LESS, it may be used against you. It should basicly be just a way of explaining what your statements show (for instance, that $400 check for that month was electricity, etc).

Once I close on a house, I'll post more of what I learn. Cant wait to see whats in store, lol.

Being self-employed sometimes make you want to drive your car off a cliff, but just remember that you are creating jobs and contributing to our economy and society in a positive way. At the end of the day our only boss is God (if you believe in a higher power), and our customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Yes, being self-employed has it's advantages and disadvantages.

But one thing you forgot to mention. It's best to have a banking relationship with a local bank or credit union. If you have a strong banking relationship with them, they will keep the mortgages in house and you won't have to worry about outside underwriting standards.

This is assuming you have a credible, potentially profitable and viable business.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
We folks who are legitametly self employed used to be able to get a stated income loan which I did in the past. Those have evolved into the liar loans and I assume disappeared. Too bad, they are sometimes needed for folks like you & me.

BTW, I agree... I just closed my Chase accounts and moved them to a local bank. I want the good old fashioned know your banker bank.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the good part nobody tells you what to do.
the bad - when you wake up you are at work.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the good part nobody tells you what to do.
the bad - when you wake up you are at work.
And you can't tell everyone you have a crappy boss.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Full documentation / disclosure is they only way loans should have EVER have been made. The premise that "lenders were better off not knowing" is ridiculous -- it is all but a request to be lied to!

I have long advocated banking with a institution that ha "REAL BANKERS" and not just flunkies that follow some computer generated list from the home office. Such banks are harder to find, but they still exist. Technically even some of the big sea-to-shining-sea banks have real bankers that do work the "small /midsized business" desk, but few of them will have the clout / authority to actually break from the lockstep. The exception is if your net worth is up over seven figures and your banker is part of the "wealth management for high net worth" part of the business...

Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 PM

161 posts, read 499,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Full documentation / disclosure is they only way loans should have EVER have been made. The premise that "lenders were better off not knowing" is ridiculous -- it is all but a request to be lied to!

I have long advocated banking with a institution that ha "REAL BANKERS" and not just flunkies that follow some computer generated list from the home office. Such banks are harder to find, but they still exist. Technically even some of the big sea-to-shining-sea banks have real bankers that do work the "small /midsized business" desk, but few of them will have the clout / authority to actually break from the lockstep. The exception is if your net worth is up over seven figures and your banker is part of the "wealth management for high net worth" part of the business...
You have no idea what you're talking about! There are many individuals that are legitimate small business or self employed individuals that actually pay there bills. We just like privacy in large financial transactions because our income derives from many different sources that do not have W2's attach to them. Most mortgage brokers don't even know how to read tax returns that involve write-offs that involve running a company. It was an efficient and easy process to loan to responsible individuals. If these loans were still readily available to responsible self employed business owners, we might actually be in a healthier real estate market. There needs to be some common ground.

We got into this real estate mess because of GOVERNMENT involvement pushing banks to lend to individuals who could not even afford to pay their water bill, much less a house! This is the same Gov't that now wants to run your health care.

GOD help us all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages