Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking the OP saw the big fat $14k check being waved in front of her and just signed all paperwork while staring at all that loveliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 04:06 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I'm just thinking that the OP hasn't been back since his/her first post .....

Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'm just thinking that the OP hasn't been back since his/her first post .....
Not under that user name anyway....

Old 09-17-2009, 02:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I'll bet the OP fell for one of those-" cash in the equity of your house"--junk mail that was floating around awhile back.

I have zero sympathy for folks who owe more on their house cuz they couldn't resist the offer to---" cash in your equity"

I agree with moonwalker.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Sounds like the first mortgage involved a teaser monthly payment which resulted in negative amoritization making his principal due higher than what he'd taken it out for originally.

This is what I tell everybody. Go to your nearest credit union, no mortgage brokers involved, and get the shortest time period mortgage you can afford to pay with 20% down. Every addl ten years adds approx 100% addl cost to the original mortgage. And only take money out if you never want to pay the place off.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Somethings to quibble with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Sounds like the first mortgage involved a teaser monthly payment which resulted in negative amoritization making his principal due higher than what he'd taken it out for originally.

This is what I tell everybody. Go to your nearest credit union, no mortgage brokers involved, and get the shortest time period mortgage you can afford to pay with 20% down. Every addl ten years adds approx 100% addl cost to the original mortgage. And only take money out if you never want to pay the place off.
There are plenty of goofs that work in Credit Unions too. There are plenty of ethical mortgage brokers that have survived "the great purge" as lenders shut down their wholesale channels. There are millions of people that have responsibly used HELOCs to save themselves a fortune in interest and expanded the economy by prudently putting that borrowed money into things that add value to the economy, they've also in some cases been able to accelerate the pay down of their first mortgage.

Generalizations work great for the "talking head experts" of cable TV and the blogosphere but in the real work where billions of people's lives are improved by efficient use of credit the simple answers are inadequate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages