Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM

162 posts, read 383,813 times

Advertisements

Don't be mad that you didn't get the tax credit, that's not a reason to go bashing someone else who wants it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla View Post
Don't be mad that you didn't get the tax credit, that's not a reason to go bashing someone else who wants it.
You should go back and read the posts. No one is bashing someone who uses the credit. They are bashing the credit itself.

And people can get mad that THEIR tax dollars are going to programs like this which is basically free money for people to buy houses.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 27,997 times
The last article I read on the extension said the most likely version to be passed would be one that is only for military and civil servants.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Here is a link to a Wall Street Journal article that covers both sides, why it should be and why it shouldnt be extended. Weigh In: Should Congress Extend the First-Time Buyer Tax Credit? - Developments - WSJ

Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
You should go back and read the posts. No one is bashing someone who uses the credit. They are bashing the credit itself.

And people can get mad that THEIR tax dollars are going to programs like this which is basically free money for people to buy houses.
Well said. I wasn't bashing it, but people want it to be extended to fit thier schedule, when it has been offered for the whole year now. If you want it, get it during the scheduled time frame. I wish I could have got it, but we were buying a house anyway and we already own another property.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Its pretty much on the backburner now it seems. Like cash for clunkers its doutful with the money needed for unemployment expentions in the coming years IMO.Congress is getting very nervous about the defciit now and reduced revenues.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
It's a tax credit, not chipping in to buy my house.

If you don't like it, don't pay your taxes, or move somewhere else.
Now I'm going to knock you just a little so don't take it too personal.

This is what's wrong with about 40% of Americans today. They don't see it as waste or a needless tax. They believe the programs are free Govt money.

Quote:
I plan on purchasing a home in March 2010, then using the tax credit to help pay for my wedding in October 2010.
I'm sorry, I thought you were going to buy a house anyway and use the tax money for a wedding. I'd prefer not to help pay for your wedding.

Have a nice day.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,640 times
Actually I've got a great idea for extending the tax credit.

Since the majority of the $8K tax credit went to prop up "lower end homes" those in the $100-300K range, the government should give an instant $15K tax credit if you purchase a mid range home from $400-800K and eliminate the first time homebuyer provision.

I'm joking on this.

Seriously we all these bailouts, cash for clunkers tax credits, home buyer credits, 20-50% off home purchases, what we have here is a sense of entitlement.

We should just stop it.

This country is broke.

The government and all the elected officials need to be ashamed of themselves. They keep on wanting to spend. They don't care because at the end of the day, when they are out of office, most of them will have guaranteed retirement plans with guaranteed health care (depending on how many number of years they serve).

Congress is dealing with the Health Care bill. They are trying to rush it through but it's going to be held up and some idiot on either side of the US House or Senate will try to add a housing tax credit extension during that time.

Right now, there's really no public support for extending the tax credit. The only people lobbying for it are the groups with the most to gain. People have known about the tax credit for more than 6-7 months. They could have shopped for a home during that time.

It's like going to the dept store for a clearance sale. You kinda of think about buying something because there's a promotion. But the promotion ends on Sunday. You wait till Monday and ask if they can extend the promotion longer.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
It's a tax credit, not chipping in to buy my house.

If you don't like it, don't pay your taxes, or move somewhere else.
You don't understand it, do you?

New homebuyers to get $8,000 cash back - Feb. 16, 2009

Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 28,815 times
I found this great link that talks about the home buyer tax credit extension H.R. 2801.

UPDATE: $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit Extension – October, 2009 | (http://www.californiateachersandemployeeshomeloanprograms .com/update-8000-homebuyer-tax-credit-extension-october-2009/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages