Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
You can still amend the 2008 return but it will be "paper filed" and will take 90 days OR you can wait until 2009 and file electronically - where you get the money within 10-14 days

Congratulations!
I filed the amended return when I closed in mid-July. I was told 120 days (by the IRS in early September), whether I filed electronically or by mail. Still waiting on my check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,947 times
Wow! 8k tax credit is great! Wish they had that when i purchased my house last year!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM

204 posts, read 875,448 times
Wow I'm scheduled to close Nov. 10th so looks like I'm gonna be waiting a while for my credit. That sucks cause I was definitely wanting my new TV for the Super Bowl not to mention I've got some extra costs incurred in the construction of my home that this will help to offset. Wish there were a way to electronically amend the '08 return and speed it up.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 AM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyp02 View Post
Wow I'm scheduled to close Nov. 10th so looks like I'm gonna be waiting a while for my credit. That sucks cause I was definitely wanting my new TV for the Super Bowl not to mention I've got some extra costs incurred in the construction of my home that this will help to offset. Wish there were a way to electronically amend the '08 return and speed it up.
The purpose of the credit is to stimulate the economy so...the right thing for you to do would be to BUY your big screen TV on credit and then pay it off when you get your check from the gov't!! So you not only make a large purchase ($$$) but then with the beer and wings for the Super Bowl you will be doing more than your share of economic stimulation.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I was told by my accountant the amended returns are reviewed by hand and are actually taking longer than if you just waited until 2010.

The IRS has already stated there will be scrutiny and review on the tax credit, that there appears to be signs of early abuses. Such as a married couple where one owns, but the other's name is not on the mortgage. Then the one that does not own, buys and takes the credit. If they have been filing jointly, they should be prepared for an audit.

I have a feeling this is going to wind up costing many, more than the 8K credit they thought they were getting.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 AM

204 posts, read 875,448 times
I closed Tuesday and am mailing the forms in today. I'm hoping the fact that my situation is very simple (25 y.o., never owned a home in my life, single, no dependents, no itemizing, etc. on taxes) will speed up my process but who knows. I'll let you guys know how quickly everything goes.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
We closed today on our first house and I wanted to know what the next step was. My lawyer told me I need to get some paperwork to my accountant before november 30th. I thought I could just wait to do my taxes as long as I closed before the 30th?
you could wait tell next year... we just got our house also.. we did our adendum and got the money 6 weeks after. but you could wait tell 2009 income taxe

Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyp02 View Post
I closed Tuesday and am mailing the forms in today. I'm hoping the fact that my situation is very simple (25 y.o., never owned a home in my life, single, no dependents, no itemizing, etc. on taxes) will speed up my process but who knows. I'll let you guys know how quickly everything goes.
yeah it will speed it up.. in 6 weeks exactly you will have your money... thats what happend to me

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Default New Home Owner

Just closed on my home on Friday......Because i'm close to the new income guideline, i will be amending my 08' tax return. Dont want to take any chances.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:05 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I was told by my accountant the amended returns are reviewed by hand and are actually taking longer than if you just waited until 2010.

Based only on the fact that my amended return didn't take very long I think this is not correct.

I think my turn around was just under 30 days til we had a check in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages