Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 38,231 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Boston area in a few months and am looking to purchase a condo/loft in the metro area. I have read many horrible reviews of USAA for mortgages. As a result I am expanding my search to different lenders in Boston as well as national lenders who deal in high Cost of living areas.

It is not easy to find a VA lender in the area, and the information available regarding VA properties in the urban areas is limited.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a VA lender for this area, or perhaps a national one that deals in high cost of living areas?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
What do you mean "high cost of living areas"? Are you looking for a Jumbo?

You have to meet INCOME and other normal eligibility requirements, the VA loan does help with that aspect of things...

You can shop for pretty much any home you can afford, really as long as you are inside the limits of the program the size of the loan is not really a factor for the lender.

If you are talking about buying a home from the HUD / VA disposal auction that is whole other can of worms : Loan Guaranty Service, Property Management and Miscellaneous Frequently Asked Questions on the VA Home Loan Program (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 38,231 times
Chet,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am not looking for a jumbo specifically, though it's not out of the question.

I am looking for a VA home lender with a solid reputation, competitive rates, and one who is familiar with the Boston area. I have usually used USAA for most of my banking, but I have read numerous poor reviews for their mortgage customer service as a result of their poor vertical integration and I am trying to find some other possible avenues.

For example, it is very easy to find a pricey ~$400K home that is VA approved and can secure financing in the NoVA/DC area. It is almost impossible in the NYC area. I am assuming Boston is somewhere in the middle, but I am honestly quite unfamiliar with lenders. I have seen several lists of VA lenders, but some of the local banks who have the highest reputations in the area do not facilitate VA loans. Additionally I do not know how difficult VA approval is to secure for a condo or loft in an urban area, though I think it would be pretty straightforward.

I guess realistically if I were looking for a non-jumbo VA loan in downtown Boston (in the Back Bay for example), is there a recommended lender.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages