Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 PM

14 posts, read 57,983 times

Advertisements

I went to BoA to get a good faith estimate for their Mortgage Plus Loan(no closing except 1.4pts on the loan). The lady showed me a slip with an interest of 6.4 and a APR 6.5. She was saying something like they both go hand to hand with the loan. Is she bsing me or maybe I wasn't clear enough about my loan requirements??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 02:11 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
The APR takes into account the points/fees of the loan to give you the 'true' interest rate you are paying over the length of the loan. No, she is not bs'ing you.
What is an Annual Percentage Rate (APR)? (http://www.mtg-net.com/sfaq/faq/apr.htm - broken link) That is an explanation.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:38 AM

104 posts, read 637,256 times
If your int rate is 6.4 and apr is 6.5 that's not a bad deal.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,459 times
she just needs to know what apr is first. Most representatives from banks are not savvy. The apr takes into account closing costs. So any money you are paying into the loan, closing costs etc. are being accounting for. Rates are not sold at apr, they are sold without costs included. That should have been on the truth in lending statement that came along with the good faith estimate.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_c0wboy View Post
I went to BoA to get a good faith estimate for their Mortgage Plus Loan(no closing except 1.4pts on the loan). The lady showed me a slip with an interest of 6.4 and a APR 6.5. She was saying something like they both go hand to hand with the loan. Is she bsing me or maybe I wasn't clear enough about my loan requirements??!
Think of the APR as the true cost of the financing. To get the financing you are going to have to pay interest AND any corresponding costs. If there are no additional costs the APR will be the exact same as the interest rate.

If you pay a bunch of points to buy the rate down, your interest rate might be 6.4% and the APR might be 7.4%.

For mortgages there are certain closing costs that must be calculated into the APR, so the APR is almost always higher than the interest rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages