Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNJ View Post
ALSO- Would we be eligible for the 8k tax credit even though we are buying the house from my dad?
Here's the link for the Tax Credit: Federal Housing Tax Credit: Tax Credits at a Glance (http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/glance.php - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I am not a tax professional so I would strongly advise you and dad to at least look up all the details on your own and try and find a qualfied tax pro / CPA to advise you but from what I have done in the past my recollection is that you should be able to get any tax credits as long as the sale is done in a business like way at the same price /rates that would apply to arm's length sale. It is only when transfers between related parties are done in such a way to ONLY create a transaction that is NOT business like that you have problems.

The most obvious benefit to dad is that he will get monthly check from you for the principle and interest that he is 'lending' you on the asset he has inherited. Depending on the rest of his income and the size of the total estate the current tax vs ongoing liability could be factor, but again that is something that is different depending on the specifics that a tax pro would need to plan for.

You can deduct the interest the same as if you paid a lender, and you just enter dad's SS number instead of the lender's ID on your tax forms. As long as you and dad agree to a fair rate and the rest of your taxes are straight forward this is very simple.

You would save boat loads of money in PMI and lender fees, you can probably stop by the county office yourself to file the papers to have the title and lien properly recorded and any transfer fees can be worked out between you and dad / the estate.

Depending on how much dad owes on his mortgage and how long he has to pay it off the stream of income he gets from financing your purchase of grandma's house can be a way for all of you to benefit from this -- down the road dad probably will have to make estate plans and if things work out maybe someday you can sell his house to your kids. Generational wealth transfer is how Queen Elizabeth got rich and can work for regular people too!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:43 AM

66 posts, read 212,716 times
I have never had a mortgage before, what is PMI and lender fees? and how much would that be roughly on a 200k loan.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 AM

66 posts, read 212,716 times
wait..

Are you saying I should give my dad the 15k down payment and then come up with a rate and finance through him and do nothing through the bank at all?

About the tax credit: First-Time Homebuyer Credit Questions and Answers: Basic Information
Q. Who cannot take the credit?
A. If any of the following describe you, you cannot take the credit, even if you buy a new home:
  • Your income exceeds the phase-out range.
  • You buy your home from a close relative. This includes your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Does dad NEED the cash? If the house was owned by grandma free and clear and dad can live without a big pile of cash all at once I would STRONGLY encourage you & him to structure this as owner financing, giving him a 30 year stream of principle and interest that you can avoid any PMI, fees, appraisals or other BS.
Yes, but then that puts money between father and son/daughter. Its one thing when someone can't afford the mortgage (not saying the OP couldn't) and the bank comes knocking, but its another when the the son/daughter has a rough month due to something else (car needed $1500 in repairs) and can't make the mortgage. Dad would be more willing to let it slide. And then he'd be in a position to "lord over" the son/daughter.

'Why are you spending money on that toy for your kid? You owe me $1500!'

I will say... it is a good idea in many ways. Why give the interest to the bank when you can give the interest (low I'd imagine) to family? Dad might even gift the interest back later on. But, money puts stress on relationships. You'd have to be very careful.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Does dad NEED the cash? If the house was owned by grandma free and clear and dad can live without a big pile of cash all at once I would STRONGLY encourage you & him to structure this as owner financing, giving him a 30 year stream of principle and interest that you can avoid any PMI, fees, appraisals or other BS. As long as the title is recorded properly and the record of payments is done in a businesslike manner this could a HUGE plus for both of you. Should something change in the future you could refi when your equity is greater and then give him the great big pile of cash...

I have helped a handful of buyers & sellers do this and if everyone is capable of treating the business aspects of this appropriately it works quite nicely.
Great idea. We tried to buy our sons home and had some difficulty because the lender did not consider it an "Arms length" transaction.

New rules make it harder to get loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages