Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM

36 posts, read 118,785 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house with a conventional loan, and our intent was for my husband only to be on the loan. Because some money for the down payment is in my name (we plan on putting it in my husband's account, but we are being told the loan officer has to know where the money has been for the last 60 days) the mortgage loan officer is saying I also have to be on the loan. So if my parents give us money for the house, would they have to be on the loan also?

I appreciate that if I am on the loan it makes it more secure and if that is the case I would like to be told that instead of that because I am giving my husband some of the money for the down payment I must be on the loan also. I just feel like I am being lied to but then again, the Patriot Act has changed lots of things and maybe I am completely wrong.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader123 View Post
We are buying a house with a conventional loan, and our intent was for my husband only to be on the loan. Because some money for the down payment is in my name (we plan on putting it in my husband's account, but we are being told the loan officer has to know where the money has been for the last 60 days) the mortgage loan officer is saying I also have to be on the loan. So if my parents give us money for the house, would they have to be on the loan also?

I appreciate that if I am on the loan it makes it more secure and if that is the case I would like to be told that instead of that because I am giving my husband some of the money for the down payment I must be on the loan also. I just feel like I am being lied to but then again, the Patriot Act has changed lots of things and maybe I am completely wrong.

Thanks!
If you only want your husband on the loan you can gift him the money you want to give him for a down payment.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Our money before buying the house was usually in the wife's account. She paid the bills and took care of that. The loan was in my name only. It was obvious when we transferred the money from her savings account into my checking account. no one questioned anything nor did they decide she has to be on the loan.

She is on the deed, but not the loan itself.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 PM

67 posts, read 214,514 times
Some lenders will ask that question. Any large deposits within the last 60 days will be questioned. You'll need to ask your lender what their "gift funds" requirements are. Where I work, depending on the LTV, you may have to have a certain percentage of your OWN funds before gift funds will be accepted. So, it's a legit question. However, we don't require the person giving the gift be on the loan.

Last edited by AmandaVA; 01-15-2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Add'l info

Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader123 View Post

Thanks!
It's true that lenders will question recent large deposits to the borrower's account. One solution to that is to put your name on the mortgage; another solution is simply to wait until the money has been there for a while.

A bigger question is, why don't you want your name on the house? Having it in his name only could disadvantage you. Think about it, and make sure you understand the ramifications of leaving your name off the house.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It's true that lenders will question recent large deposits to the borrower's account. One solution to that is to put your name on the mortgage; another solution is simply to wait until the money has been there for a while.

A bigger question is, why don't you want your name on the house? Having it in his name only could disadvantage you. Think about it, and make sure you understand the ramifications of leaving your name off the house.
You don't have to be on the loan to be in title.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She is on the deed, but not the loan itself.
I didn't know you could do that. Does she have to sign something that allows you to borrow on her property? Or can a spouse just borrow money without the other one knowing? If you stopped paying the loan would they come after her or would they foreclosed without warning her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages