U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 AM

30 posts, read 178,149 times

Advertisements

They have ordered our home and now they are in the process of building it. What do I need to shop for homeowners insurance and how do I do it? I want to start with my auto insurance company, but they told me I would not get a discount since it would be escrowed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM

1,675 posts, read 6,796,264 times
Ask friends and family members for a referral. AAA, the car club, has great rates on home owners insurance.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 AM

835 posts, read 3,857,804 times
Never heard of not getting a multi policy discount because your homeowners is being escrowed. I'e escrowed for the past 17years on multiple homes with different insurance companies and always got the discount.

Like Victor said get referrals and offer to bring your car insurance to them as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 AM

64 posts, read 188,149 times
Im with Allstate and we recieved a discount and im in escrow too. shop around and when you do, u might want to move your auto with them too...

Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 AM

322 posts, read 523,145 times
All good advice so far. Referrals are nice because at least theres some familiarity, and keeping all of your insurance under one roof is the hot new money saving trend. Another avenue is insurancequotes.com, it functions very much like lendingtree.com. Let them fight over you!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 AM

39 posts, read 113,386 times
It sounds like this may be your first house? If you are not familiar with homeowners insurance make sure you choose a company or agent that is willing to sit down with you and explain the coverages with you. If you are just shopping for lowest cost you may not get the best policy for you and your family.
I've never heard of a company that doesn't offer mulipolicy discounts because the home is escrowed. insurance companies don't care who pays the bill as long as they are getting paid... Your auto insurance company probably doesn't write homeowners insurance in your state.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM

30 posts, read 178,149 times
I went today and did this. I ended up going with State Farm. I am paying 15 dollars more than auto, but I am getting a great deal on homeowners. I am getting a modular and everywhere we went said it is considered a manufactured home, and was writing it up like that. I find out that this is the incorrect way to write it. So, we went with State Farm and we are saving almost 200 dollars doing it this way. Our car insurance is 181 up from 166 with Nationwide, and our homeowners with a 1000 deductible is 540 a year. They also sat down with me for almost 2 hours and went over everything we had. I am very happy with my policy and my new company.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,622,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
Never heard of not getting a multi policy discount because your homeowners is being escrowed. I'e escrowed for the past 17years on multiple homes with different insurance companies and always got the discount.

Like Victor said get referrals and offer to bring your car insurance to them as well.
The discount might because they are paying annually vs monthly.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 AM

835 posts, read 3,857,804 times
Lending Tree is a marketing company. You want 3 quotes fine, you want 6 no problem we can sell you contact information as many times as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages