Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times

Advertisements

I purchased my home in March of 2005. I had an 80/20 loan. The '20 loan' has since been paid off and now my remaining balance is about $145,000 on a conventional 5/1 ARM. Current rate is @ 5.4% which will adjust this May.

My ARM index type is a 1 year (12 month) LIBOR
Margin is set at 2.25%.

Am I correct in calculating that if my rate were to change today that my new rate would be about 3.13% based on the current LIBOR of 0.88?

I know that the LIBOR could possibly fluctuate between now and when my new rate is set in April but based on the current info my minimum payment would actually decrease?

I've heard nothing but horror stories of having an ARM...that's what has confused me.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 32,741 times
You are exactly correct. Good for you with the new rate!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Yes your math is correct.

However read the loan soca carefully.

Lots of lenders in addition to the Libor rare, add a .25-.50 spread rate.

Just go over your loan papers on this

Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The details are what eats some ARM borrowers alive. Too many folks willingly signed loans that have FAR HIGHER margins and/or were based an crazy "escalator" mindset that said "houses never go down in value" that lulled people into accepting negative amortization. If you then wrap that negative amortization around a HELOC or other secondary mortgage it is very easy to suddenly owe some huge multiple of your houses current market value. Folks can be 150% or more in debt...

For folks that know what they are doing and have a solid grasp on the downsides an ARM can save a TON of interest. Alan Greenspan said the same things. Basically all the mortgage brokers that I know / knew used these for their personal homes, and if they lived a frugal and budget conscious lifestyle (which is much more difficult) they kept a lot more dough in their pocket than folks with fixed rate loans... Sadly too many people did not understand that have a VARIABLE rate mortgage meant that they would have to have a BIGGER CUSHION in their budget / savings and they were hit hard.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:51 PM

61 posts, read 317,089 times
If you go back and read your ARM rider carefully, you will probably see a floor rate into the loan, ie the lowest that they would charge you would be X%, most of the time in the 4% range

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesclark View Post
If you go back and read your ARM rider carefully, you will probably see a floor rate into the loan, ie the lowest that they would charge you would be X%, most of the time in the 4% range
Good point. In addition, the OP may have 2/2/6 cap, which means the adjusted rate can't change more than 2% from the previous rate, when it adjusts. In OP's case, that will be 3.4$ - 7.4% for the first adjustment.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I've heard nothing but horror stories of having an ARM...that's what has confused me.
I think those were option ARM' or interest only ARM's. When the loan adjusted the payment went up because now they had to pay principal too.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Just goes to show that ARM's are not evil and bad. If you are keeping this home for many more years, you might want to lock in on a fixed rate soon.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
ARMs with low downpayments should have only been allowed to young professionals (the young doctors straight out of residency, the young attorney's, fresh MBAs) whose potential to earn very high income in a few years. Those are the type of professionals who can withstand sharp increases in mortgage ARM resets.

I am talking about regular ARMs (where you actually pay into the principal) for those types of professionals.

Than you go into option ARMs, or Interest Only ARMs. I can't believe the lending standards were so lapse issue those types of loans to regular folks with fixed earning income ability.

But than again, people need to read. I read and re-read all 56 pages of my loan docs. Looked over prepayment penalties, looked over ARM reset rates etc. If you can read at a 7th grade level, you should be able to understand your loan agreements. It's not that hard.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
ARMs with low downpayments should have only been allowed to young professionals (the young doctors straight out of residency, the young attorney's, fresh MBAs) whose potential to earn very high income in a few years. Those are the type of professionals who can withstand sharp increases in mortgage ARM resets.

I am talking about regular ARMs (where you actually pay into the principal) for those types of professionals.

Than you go into option ARMs, or Interest Only ARMs. I can't believe the lending standards were so lapse issue those types of loans to regular folks with fixed earning income ability.

But than again, people need to read. I read and re-read all 56 pages of my loan docs. Looked over prepayment penalties, looked over ARM reset rates etc. If you can read at a 7th grade level, you should be able to understand your loan agreements. It's not that hard.

That would be discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages