Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
For some unknown reason, you keep trying to tie this to performance. The nexus has absolutely nothing to do with performance. Read my post again.
I don't see where you are going. We are not talking security clearances where financial instablity might be disabling.

We are talking model makers, draftsmen, techs and engineers. I would think stealing or selling concepts would be a performance problem.

If I turn down a good black draftsman because he had a foreclosure five years ago I would think I run a strong risk of getting a discrimination complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM

43 posts, read 206,951 times
And how, exactly, is said black draftsman going to prove that he wasn't chosen for the job because he is black? People get turned down for jobs all the time. You don't really have a good discrimination complaint unless you can actually prove racial discrimination.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
And how, exactly, is said black draftsman going to prove that he wasn't chosen for the job because he is black? People get turned down for jobs all the time. You don't really have a good discrimination complaint unless you can actually prove racial discrimination.
Any number of mechanisms. One that can easily occur is that someone in the drafting dept notes that 18 hires were made and not a black among them. He or she tips the applicant.

Or the local referral service discovers that hiring is running well whiter than natural selection would indicate. Or a local social service with a mainly black clientele finds that it is not doing as well as a counter part on the other side of the RR tracks.

Or the applicant just does not care for the way he was treated...and the follow up from the gov finds disproportionate rejection of some group.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:28 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
Why are you turning a credit thread into a racial thing. Nobody said anything about a minority applicant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I think you will find that minority members generally have worse credit scores and histories than non-minorities. So if you use that as a criteria you are very likely to be charged with discrimination.
What if it were two minority applicants and one had unresolved debt. He decided that it just didn't make sense to fulfill his obligation. Who would you chose?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Why are you turning a credit thread into a racial thing. Nobody said anything about a minority applicant.

What if it were two minority applicants and one had unresolved debt. He decided that it just didn't make sense to fulfill his obligation. Who would you chose?
The point was that thinking employers run the hiring process on job related variables. The credit report thing may well be reasonable on those requiring a security clearance or those with financial responsibilities. But a draftsman? I don't think so. Practically it is quite legal to not hire red heads...or left handers. I would put a person with a foreclosure or a short sale in the same category...it has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to do the job.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Whether you agree or not, it is common practice now days.

You win. I'll go bang my head against the wall.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Whether you agree or not, it is common practice now days.

You win. I'll go bang my head against the wall.
You know I spent my career trying to hire good talent. Probably spent 25% of my time over 30 years in the hiring process.

I find the idea of turning down a good talent over a BK or a foreclosure insane.

the good ones are made by God not by a credit rating agency.

Now if you got 400 applicants and two minimal wage jobs. Hell skip the left handers or the chubs. If you have to make random decisions...go random.

Do what the guys do...go for the big boobs...

Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Do what the guys do...go for the big boobs...
Ahh, the one thing that trumps unresolved debt.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM

255 posts, read 556,961 times
Quote:
Ahh, the one thing that trumps unresolved debt.
We don't run credit checks on our medical applicants. Especially Vegas, I would think everyone's aware of the personal struggles many have and would overlook a banged up credit report for a good applicant. Even renters with bad credit but good jobs go ahead of those with bad jobs and good credit. After market bolt-ons is another story.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
If he could even get a loan in one year, he would be consider a risk and his interest rate would be raised. Verses perfect credit, it could be a difference of hundreds a month. Even 1% on $175K is $200 a month.

If you held the note on his house, what your opinion be? Would you loan him money again in one year? If so, what premium would you charge him 2%, 3% or more?
I would not have been stupid enough to make 100% loans in a real estate bubble. Anybody that did not see this coming was blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages