U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,264,384 times

Advertisements

So, my Mom only has 45k left on her mortgage (she is retired), and she has a 6.5 interest rate on the current loan. She has a 30 year mortgage on the property and has been paying for 15 years. When I have talked to a couple of different lenders about refinancing, they have said that they do not refi loans that are that small, and the smallest they do is 50k. They have also said that with the closing costs, she would not recoup that amount.

So the question is, what should she do? It seems like there should be a solution for her to get a lower rate, but I don't know much about this field!!!

Any information would be helpful. Thanks

leigh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM

28,461 posts, read 75,413,332 times
I suspect you are not really getting a complete answer. If mom has been in house for 15 years I am quite certain she has very signficant equity. If she has a 6.5% rate on a 30 that is not attractive for her at all.

I further suspect that she could recoup any costs if she went with a 15 year loan at about 4.25% interest and took out about $5000 in equity she would see her cost of borrowing drop by at least $800 a year. The costs of the loan would almost certainly be far less than the cash she took out and if she did not need the rest of the money she could immediately apply that to principal, further shortening her payment period.

There are probably other ways to do this that are even more cost effective.

If the folks she has talked to don't want her business, just find some one who does, but also ask them if they have creative ideas to help you achieve want is best for mom -- paying off loan MORE quickly at LESS cost. Some lenders understand this and others have a script that they read off and are useless...
Might be worth talking to lenders of different SIZE / organizational model, as sometimes the willingness to help can be very different from a mortgage broker, credit union, big money center bank or regional bank.

I'm assuming mom has sold income, has great credit, has nothing bad to scare off lenders other than the fact they cannot milk her for a big pile of points up front...

Another idea -- how much equity does mom have? Would a reverse mortgage wipe out her payments altogether? A sharp lender would run you through the details of this could work.

Good Luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,264,384 times
You are right in that she does have excellent credit and a very steady income. She is just ready to have the thing paid off more quickly. I had thought about her getting the 50k, then just putting the 5k back on the principal for her first payment or something.

I have, at this point, sent out some feelers to a couple of mortgage people that my friend's have had good experiences with recently.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely look at my options. You verified what I was already feeling, that this particular person did not want to work with us.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or