Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,121 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to buy our first house. We've been preapproved by two lenders for an FHA loan, but the house we decided on requires that we use the builder's lender in order to get their incentives (4% toward closing costs). We've run into a little problem because the lender is telling me that even though my student loans are in deferment they have to be counted as debt since they're only deferred for 6 months at a time as opposed to 12 months. So, I decided to take myself off of the loan since my husband is the sole income provider anyway, all I bring to the table is 45,000 in student loans (though I do have excellent credit). Now the loan officer is telling me even if I'm not on the loan she still has to count my debt against my husband because we are married. We have friends who are married and have bought houses without having both people on the loan due to the exact same situation. Is this lender full of it or is there validity in what she's saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:52 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,312 times
Debt of the spouse is only counted if you live in a community property state.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 03-16-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,017,576 times
This loan officer does know what they are talking about. On FHA loans both spouses debts must be on the application even if doing the loan in just one of their names.

Your loan officer is also correct about the student loan payments must be counted against you even though they are deferred.

If you are doing a conventional loan then only the spouse on the application debts are used.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 AM

64 posts, read 195,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
This loan officer does know what they are talking about. On FHA loans both spouses debts must be on the application even if doing the loan in just one of their names.
I just closed on a FHA loan, and nothing from my wife was used. did this just change in 2010? Im also not in a community property state..

Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 AM

You do not have to have your spouse on the application but a credit report is ran and if any debts are just in the other spouses name they must be included in debts.

Does your wife have any debts just in her name alone?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
You do not have to have your spouse on the application but a credit report is ran and if any debts are just in the other spouses name they must be included in debts.

Does your wife have any debts just in her name alone?
Yes, she has some. and looking at the UW findings report they didnt use any of her information....

Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Sorry, didnt read your entire post.. since you are not in a community property state you didnt have to include wife's debts. This is only true in community property states.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Sorry, didnt read your entire post.. since you are not in a community property state you didnt have to include wife's debts. This is only true in community property states.
No problem, thats what I thought....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages